Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deka 8v195 batteries discontinued

I have a dead cell in one of four 8v195 batteries used to fire up my Detroit 16v92 DDEC engines. Deka has stopped making them. I have sourced four at a exorbitant price. The batteries where only two years old. Has anyone come up with a solution for a 32v system as a replacement for the 8v195 as at some point the other four will need to be replaced. I see Rolls has them but no dealer anywhere near me. Suggestions?

Re: Deka 8v195 batteries discontinued

I just bought 4 under the brand “Astrolite” which I have always used. Also Baltimore Battery also supplies them at a similar price under the name Best Battery.

Don’t know if you guys have Powerstride battery’s back there but that is what we use out West. Seem to be pretty good Batteries so far. Available in the large size 8 volts. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Call DC battery in Miami. They have shipped to me in SC far cheaper than I could buy locally.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I needed to replace my batteries last winter. There was no way I was paying the insane prices people are charging for the 8 volt batteries. I made a lot of calls and ended up talking to St Lucie battery. They recommended using 8 crown 8 volts per side. When I told him I needed 8 8 volt batteries his reply was let me guess this is for an old Hatteras. He said they have been using these Crowns in 32 volt boats for a long time and typically see 7-10 years before replacement. They charged me around $1,500 for the batteries and the cables to hook them all together. The only down fall I see to this is all the extra connections to hook the batteries up in pairs. I’m about 7 months in and all is good so far.

The purists will disparage 8v GC batteries but those who have tried them always seem happy. Mine are 5 years old and still working well. I never had any problem starting the Detroits with them.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

High usage separates the GC from the real starting batteries . If your drift fishing and starting 6 or 8 times a day you need the real thing. Starting batteries and GC batteries are very different internally.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks one and all... I will make a few calls around this week. I do have the four coming that I found locally. $400 each!! The other bank works fine at the moment so I was going to let them go for the time being as they are only two years old. My concern with some of the other suggestions is cranking over those 16v92s takes allot of juice!

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    Thanks one and all... I will make a few calls around this week. I do have the four coming that I found locally. $400 each!! The other bank works fine at the moment so I was going to let them go for the time being as they are only two years old. My concern with some of the other suggestions is cranking over those 16v92s takes allot of juice!
    I wouldn't worry about not having enough juice to crank over the 1692's with the GC batteries. I have 1292's and when I bought my boat one side had the big Deka batteries and the other had 4 GC batteries. The Deka batteries were 9 or 10 years old, and the GC batteries were 6 years old. The 4 GC batteries never had a problem cranking over the 1292 I was worried about that when I saw them, figured I'd be hitting the parallel switch a lot. But that never happened, those 4 little batteries crank her up every time. One of the big batteries failed so I figured I was going to start fresh. Putting in 16 of the GC batteries gets you close to the power 8v195's had. If 4 of them could crank a 1292 with out a problem I don't see any reason to worry about 8 of them on a 1692. The other nice thing is all though you have to lift twice as many batteries in and out, moving 16 65 lbs batteries doesn't seem as hard as moving 8 130 lbs batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    Call DC battery in Miami. They have shipped to me in SC far cheaper than I could buy locally.
    Two things. First, don't know where you looked around Charleston. This morning, Santee Industrial, N. Charleston, quoted me on four (4) 8V195's $1,186 ($294.37 ea.) plus tax delivered to boat; AC Battery today quoted on four (4) $1,299.72 ($324.93 ea.), (probably no tax) delivered. Seems easier to me to trade locally, especially if you have a problem with a battery--I did last year and they handled it instantly.

Second point, there seems to be availability. No one has said get them now or else. Maybe they're going away, who knows? But, my last battery purchase, last year, was about $249 each; they are now $295.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC