Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Calcium Deposits in Head Systems - Wrong TP?

They DO occur in fresh water flush systems. Ask me how I know.

My 1 year old vacuflush pump failed due to excessive concrete like material tearing up the bellows. I ran down to EMS in Ft Lauderdale to get a rebuild kit. Asked the counter guy how calcium could build up so fast in a FW system. He asked if I am using RV toilet paper. No, regular single ply. He said switch to RV TP and problem will go away.

Is this for real? I thought RV TP just breaks down faster. Is there something in its chemistry the precludes calcium formation?
    Last edited by Passages; 07-10-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Re: Calcium Deposits in Head Systems - Wrong TP?

I’ve never heard about this. Can’t wait for the replies.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    They DO occur in fresh water flush systems. Ask me how I know.

My 1 year old vacuflush pump failed due to excessive concrete like material tearing up the bellows. I ran down to EMS in Ft Lauderdale to get a rebuild kit. Asked the counter guy how calcium could build up so fast in a FW system. He asked if I am using RV toilet paper. No, regular single ply. He said switch to RV TP and problem will go away.

I this for real? I thought RV TP just breaks down faster. Is there something in its chemistry the precludes calcium formation?
    Beats me. I use the cheapest TP I can find. The test I use is to put some in a cup of water and see if it breaks down in a few minutes. I've never had the calcium problem. But I have the OEM Galley Maids, saltwater and pour in a gallon of white vinegar a couple times a year. Seems like the TP thing would be widespread on land systems if it were true. Not knowledgeable on vacuflush, but how could RVTP breakdown from the bowl to the bellows? Maybe it's your multi-vitamins. I yield to the experts.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Beats me. I use the cheapest TP I can find. The test I use is to put some in a cup of water and see if it breaks down in a few minutes. I've never had the calcium problem. But I have the OEM Galley Maids, saltwater and pour in a gallon of white vinegar a couple times a year. Seems like the TP thing would be widespread on land systems if it were true. Not knowledgeable on vacuflush, but how could RVTP breakdown from the bowl to the bellows? Maybe it's your multi-vitamins. I yield to the experts.
    LOL, yeah, all those minerals I'm taking.

This has to be BS. TP can't have anything to do with calcium accumulation.

Doesn’t make much sense. We use regular brands like Charmin or Cotonelle and have never had bellows fail before at least 10 to 12 years.

Calcium in paper? Paper comes from trees... not minerals
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

6. Re: Calcium Deposits in Head Systems - Wrong TP?

It’s not the TP, it’s the urine. Always heard it called pisscrete, and it forms from the reaction of uric acid and salt water. Vinegar is the solution, although some commercial products claim to be better; e.g. NutralizeRX
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    It’s not the TP, it’s the urine. Always heard it called pisscrete, and it forms from the reaction of uric acid and salt water. Vinegar is the solution, although some commercial products claim to be better; e.g. NutralizeRX
    Yup! What he said.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau