Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wallpaper removal and Aformosia repair/replace

All,I purchased a 1989 model Hatteras 67’ cockpit MY last June and knew at the time it would be a project which has turned out to be more than true. It came from the factory I believe with white vinyl wallpaper in the salon. I know, yuck. But we knew it would be a project when we bought it and were up for the work.While laid up for the winter we have started removing the wallpaper and found the aformosia paneling behind it as expected. That said, several sheets that are in bad shape and we have a more critical problem as the seams of the paneling were smoothed out and screw heads covered with what appears to be automotive bondo. I believe this was a factory job but would like to know if anyone can confirm.I have read every post on this site regarding the aformosia paneling and and removing wallpaper and have subsequently ordered a quart of stain from Sam’s. Sam’s has veneer sheets of 3/32” aformosia that can be adheared to the backing plywood by, according to Sam’s, taking an old school iron (without steam) and heating the laminate and peeling it from the plywood. My first question is if anyone has tried this? My original thought was to remove the paneling all together and cut in a new sheet where the damage is.Second question is the bondo. I have used some medium duty paint stripper to remove most of it but there are some areas that the stripper doesn’t seem to touch. Seems they used two different filler materials. Anyone with experience there?If all else fails, I will have to replace all the paneling in the salon but that is going to get pretty expensive. I have found the paneling at World Panel but the pictures show it being a lot lighter. I know the stain will darken and the paneling has likely aged and darkened over the last 30 years but think I can use multiple coats of stain to try and match the old stuff. Just looking for experience with this type of situation.We really want to go back to wood but don’t want to spend a fortune. Advice is appreciated.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Wallpaper removal and Aformosia repair/replace

I would order all new panels and replace it do it all matches.

I like the wood look and stayed away from boats that had covered it up. However, if I had your boat, I think I would learn to appreciate wallpaper. Wallpaper would look fine if it is done nicely. Most of the time it looks bad because it was done poorly and the decorating is incomplete. You say it looks factory. Do you have any photos? Does all of the trim match the wallpaper? What do the sills look like? Are there valances and what do they look like? I can't believe the factory would wallpaper over teak veneer. Maybe a PO wallpapered because of damage to the original walls?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I have a similar model and vintage. Our winter project was to remove and replace the wallpaper in the hallway between the engine rooms. It was definitely factory. We used a steam tool to remove the old vinyl wall paper. Underneath, it was primed with a white enamel type paint..which is what we expected. If you had exposed aframosa veneer under your wallpaper, I doubt it was factory. You can buy 1/4 aframosa plywood from World Panel in North Carolina. You could try to rev-veneer but, I'm pretty handy and I wouldn't try that. The saloon panels in my 87 63' are nailed over wood furing. I'd vote to just buy new plywood sheets and cut to fit, ting oil finish and go for it.

If walls are all smooth and it sounds like they are, then just adhere new afromosia veneer with regular contact cement right over the top of what's there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If walls are all smooth and it sounds like they are, then just adhere new afromosia veneer with regular contact cement right over the top of what's there.
    I second this post.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

I third it. You may have to cut to your door trim or do some modifications for jamb width but otherwise why tear everything out.

Once again, wife's handiwork on new hallway wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Once again, wife's handiwork on new hallway wallpaper.
    I put the same wallpaper in my ER hallway. Looks nice.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for the responses all. We are leaning towards replacing the paneling as opposed to trying to vernier over top. Would be concerned with how that would lay and how the edges around the windows and doors would look. I am thinking I can carefully remove a panel at a time and use it as a pattern for the cutouts. Anyone done that? Advice on screws to use to secure the new paneling is appreciated. Also, here are the pictures Photolomy asked for.
    Attached Images
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC