Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

How Much Does It Cost

Often prospective Hatteras owners will inquire about the cost of maintaining these beasts. I just finished some basic stuff and the cost is fresh. I changed the engine and transmission oil, engine zincs, and raw water impellers.
    35 Gallons of 40wt appropriately rated oil. $630
    4 engine filters, 2 transmission filters, 2 screens $200
    6 engine zincs $150
    2 impellers. $120
    2 primary fuel filters $50
    4 racor filters $60
    Prop shaft packing (got some left for rudders) $100

So, a light service was about $1,300

Labor was free, and I bargain shop for case lot filters.

Re: How Much Does It Cost

I’ll gladly pay you the 1,300 if you want to help me service mine. 😂 LOL
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I’ll gladly pay you the 1,300 if you want to help me service mine.  LOL
    I think the airfare to the left coast would outweigh the free labor! Seriously though, I often see concern about labor rates and hours. Even doing this myself, it still took 20 hours or so... repacking propshafts is time consuming! The engine oil change is straight forward, maybe 1.5 hours per engine, tranny filters and screens are a PITA, Impellers are big and stiff and I use a liner clamp to compress the fins, zincs are a snap, but I would suspect labor would run at least as much as the materials.,

What engines?

I used to do oil changes on 3412Es and C32s but I m getting too old The big oil filters with the bottom below stringers are back breakers... cat dealer charges about 8 hours of labor worth it
    Last edited by Pascal; 07-10-2019 at 05:38 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

5. Re: How Much Does It Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    What engines?

I used to do oil changes on 3412Es and C32s but I m getting too old The big oil filters with the bottom below stringers are back breakers... cat dealer charges about 8 hours of labor worth it
    I figure that I worked hard to make money for some reason, and oil changes and wax jobs are two that jump to mind.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I think the airfare to the left coast would outweigh the free labor! Seriously though, I often see concern about labor rates and hours. Even doing this myself, it still took 20 hours or so... repacking propshafts is time consuming! The engine oil change is straight forward, maybe 1.5 hours per engine, tranny filters and screens are a PITA, Impellers are big and stiff and I use a liner clamp to compress the fins, zincs are a snap, but I would suspect labor would run at least as much as the materials.,
    Speaking of impellers. Anybody else recycle them? If they take a set, but are otherwise in perfect shape, I grease them up good and swap them end to end and keep on truck'n. Maybe I'm cheap. This past week I ran at 1800 RPM continuous for a couple of hours in seawater measuring 87.8 - 89.4F, and my motors stayed at 183F. They also dropped back PDQ telling me those babies were moving some water.

That's pretty damn warm water for this time of year, BTW. I can see why we're making our own storms now.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I use the $500 per foot per year for most boats including docking and insurance. Add fuel to the mix. A 40 footer would be about $20k for everything. A 60 footer about $30k.

Remember that's also having it done not DIY.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wow! Robert were you in the ocean off Charleston, or in the river? That’s really warm water.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

John, the hottest section was Brickyard Cr at the south end of the St. Helena Snd. in Beaufort Cty., SC (AICW). Coolest parts near the inlets at almost 88F. That’s really good hurricane fuel.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC