Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

63 MY Master Cabin and Head Leak

1986 63 MY. The bulkhead at the aft end of the master head is shared with the starboard closet in the master
    stateroom. This bulkhead has water stains from some time back on both sides from about 40" above
    floor level to the floor. No rot, just stains from a long time leak. I believe it only occurs after a heavy rain. I have
    checked the master head sink and shower drains, but they are lower than the stain marks. I suspect the
    hull/deck joint as the source, but need to disassemble the closet and wait for rain (or hose).Anyone have a similar leak
    and advice for curing?

I thought Hatteras fiberglassed the hull/deck joint, but I see significant caulking up under the exterior
    aluminum rub rail at that joint. How is the hull/deck joint fastened and sealed? I anticipate removing the aluminum rail, removing
    old caulking and refreshing caulk before re-attaching rubrail. Thoughts on proper procedure.

John McCarley
    Escape and Water Colors
    Wrightsville Beach NC

Re: 63 MY Master Cabin and Head Leak

side deck drains, they are accessible from the behind valance board . Hatteras used some what looked like zamac type of fitting for the elbows in the drain on mine, I put new fittings in and stopped the issue on both sides of my old 61cy......Pat

The condensate drain from the air handler is most likely stopped up. It drains to the bilge sump under the closet bifold door. Use compressed air to clear it from the sump side. It's also possible that one of the salon window frames is leaking. But in the humid south, my money is on the air handler drain.

And drop a bromine or chlorine tablet in the condensing unit pan while you're at it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Leak found and resolved. Leak appeared after no rain, so assumed head plumbing must be source.
    Opening head cabinetry on outboard bulkhead revealed saltwater (1 drop per 5 seconds) leaking from
    exhaust tube to muffler connection. It then occurred to me that the wetness only appeared after running
    boat. This is a 10" diameter 14 inch long section of Shields muffler hose. The t-bolt clamps on one end
    were loose enough I could wiggle them side to side a bit. Tightened clamps and no more leak.

Checked all clamps on both sides and none were loose. I have never seen the Shields t-bolt clamps
    work loose, so assuming they were never properly tightened at some point. I am replacing them, just
    to be sure.

Glad you found the leak. Glad there were no fumes getting into the interior of the boat.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California