Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1981 56 wide body refit

Thanks Bill I'm going to do some exploring tomorrow and will take pix of what i find
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

This is a great thread and story. Thank you for posting it for us. I was very interested as I had made an offer on a 56 Wide Body that the broker sort of messed me over on. (always about the dollar). Anyway I am very happy with what I wound up with. I would like to know a few things. If you don't mind, what is the flooring you used? the other is about the alarm system, but I will go to your guy in Florida. Mine is ok, but I have the desire to understand it inside and out.

Lets hear it for our Fat Bottomed Girls...they make the Rockin' world go 'round! (unless you fixed the stabilizers)
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

3. Re: 1981 56 wide body refit

Thanks Randy. I used LVP luxury vinyl plank.
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Bill,
    Great video and quite an encouragement.

I have a 1981 56 Hull #320. My dock mate up here in Chattanooga three slips down also has a 56. Bought the boat for the same reasons you did, walk around engine room, headroom for a 6'-4" person, extra beam. So now we know where three of the are. I love the boat, even though she is a fat girl.

We have been vacationing on Bald Head for the past 20 years and hope to tie up there when we are out cruising in about 2 years.

I am just starting out on the refit project even though you started later than I did. We had some financial set backs that put everything on hold, however, I don't give a crap anymore, damn the torpedoes full speed ahead.

I had to take out the WD with a Sawz All, what a job...... Replacing with two separate units. That project takes shape next week.

One question: I was planning on adding another step from the helm to the galley by starting them earlier adding a tread. Want to lower the riser in each step and increase the width a little so my knees don't crap out. This would be right next to the electrical breaker panel by the pilot house amidship door. Looking up in the hole created by the WD I can't see where the wires enter the panel. Did you figure that out?

My naids worked for about 3 days and then pooped out. I'll wait until I get the boat up to NC where they are headquartered before having them worked on.

I am curious on the gauge refit. What brand did you use? Did you replace the sensors at the same time?

My alarm panel is toast. Did you have to replace yours? If so, by whom?

Regarding all the electronics, don't really need much here on the lake so was planning on having Scott, on the forum, do all that work when I can get the boat up in his area.

Well, thanks for the inspiration
    Please reach out when opportunity permits. I have hull #13 and am eager to shamelessly plagiarize all of your good ideas in exchange for cautionary tales on how my ill advised efforts matured into minor crises.

v/r
    Timothy
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Hey Bill, saw your video, only question I have is did you copy my cabinets or did I copy yours. Looks really good and I know how handy that hatch in the galley overhead is, I put one in also and took 2 generators out through it. Your varnish also looks fantastic. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Very impressive and inspiring refit, especially inside the engine room! I have a 1989- 58’ Cheoy Lee motor yacht of similar layout but smaller aft deck. (I am in Trinidad- where the steel drum was invented! ) happy boating, restoring and pan-playing!
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

Did you varnish your interior or was it already done . What did you use to clean the engine rooms?

8. Re: 1981 56 wide body refit

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. The finish was done with a spar urethane.

Engine rooms were scrubbed from floor to ceiling with a degreaser called Awesome which you can get just about everywhere. Works as good as the expensive ones for only dollars.
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY

Really beautiful boat. VERY impressive refit- very complete.

How long does it take for you to get to the Wrightsville Beach drawbridge from your downtown Wilmington berth ? Regards , Edward