Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. 1981 56 wide body refit

Thought some of you would be interested in the refithttps://youtu.be/xlBw8TGlPdA
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY

Thumbs up Re: 1981 56 wide body refit

Great video! Great looking boat ! Congrats great job . Regards,Edward

Re: 1981 56 wide body refit

Bill,
    Great video and quite an encouragement.

I have a 1981 56 Hull #320. My dock mate up here in Chattanooga three slips down also has a 56. Bought the boat for the same reasons you did, walk around engine room, headroom for a 6'-4" person, extra beam. So now we know where three of the are. I love the boat, even though she is a fat girl.

We have been vacationing on Bald Head for the past 20 years and hope to tie up there when we are out cruising in about 2 years.

I am just starting out on the refit project even though you started later than I did. We had some financial set backs that put everything on hold, however, I don't give a crap anymore, damn the torpedoes full speed ahead.

I had to take out the WD with a Sawz All, what a job...... Replacing with two separate units. That project takes shape next week.

One question: I was planning on adding another step from the helm to the galley by starting them earlier adding a tread. Want to lower the riser in each step and increase the width a little so my knees don't crap out. This would be right next to the electrical breaker panel by the pilot house amidship door. Looking up in the hole created by the WD I can't see where the wires enter the panel. Did you figure that out?

My naids worked for about 3 days and then pooped out. I'll wait until I get the boat up to NC where they are headquartered before having them worked on.

I am curious on the gauge refit. What brand did you use? Did you replace the sensors at the same time?

My alarm panel is toast. Did you have to replace yours? If so, by whom?

Regarding all the electronics, don't really need much here on the lake so was planning on having Scott, on the forum, do all that work when I can get the boat up in his area.

Well, thanks for the inspiration
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

I feel dumb but I can’t get the link to work.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I need a complete gauge and sender refit.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

David, don’t fell bad I can’t get it to either. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    I need a complete gauge and sender refit.
    I can’t get it either
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Google this: youtu.be/xlBw8TGlPdA

It shows up.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

9. Re: 1981 56 wide body refit

Sorry it was my mistake on the video. Try this

https://youtu.be/xlBw8TGlPdA

Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician

Hatteras 56MY

10. Re: 1981 56 wide body refit

Mark - I can only answer for myself on this. Some of the other guys may have different opinions. Changing the steps might be a challenge. I have had mine apart as well as the WD and they have used the space well. You might be able to widen each step (make them deeper) but I think it would be a major thing to rebuild them. I am not a carpenter so that is my 2 cents.

Gauges - I used SW classic style which are almost identical to the AC Delco gauges and yes I replaced all the senders as well. You must do that. I think i spent less that 2k on the whole systems.

I also had to have the systems monitor rebuilt. I also replaced all those senders as well as they were all original. This is a pretty important system. I would fix it before I replaced gauges. As far as I know there is only ONE person in the world that can rebuild these and he does great work. Les Henderson in FL. 954-663-5732. When he stops working we will all be in trouble!

Naiad - this was a huge pain. It took me a year or replacing stuff. I took it to Wilmington Marine Center to haul out and drop the fins. We replaced the seals, bearings and had one piece manufactured there. They did a great job. The rest was trial and error. I replaced all the lines next. Still didn't work. Sent the gyro off to be rebuilt (800) and they came to life but didn't work properly. SMS in Wilmington has a Naiad guy and he came and removed both actuators and cleaned them and put them back in and it all works now. So you can get all the done here in Wilmington as well.
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician

Hatteras 56MY