Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Installing New Portlight Gaskets - 58 LRC

One of the high priority items I have on my maintenance list is to install new gaskets on all 14 portlights. I have 4-5 that have active leaks so I need to get on those ASAP.

I've ordered the gaskets from Sams and it appears the ones currently installed may not be the same ones that I received from Sams. I have no doubt that the ones I got from Sams are the correct ones...but they are larger diameter that the ones currently installed and the new ones appear to be a foam rubber where the ones currently installed appear to be a nitrile rubber.

I am looking for some assistance as how to install the new gaskets. One important aspect is the type of adhesive to use to secure the gasket to the portlight cover.

Also, I am thinking about driving out the roll pin on the cover and removing it for better ease of removing old gasket and installing new.....

Thoughts??…
    Portlight 001.jpg

Portlight 002.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Installing New Portlight Gaskets - 58 LRC

I spoke to SAMS about this....

- The new gasket is a neoprene material and is different than the original which was a nitrile rubber
    - The diameter of the new neoprene gasket is larger than the original nitrile rubber gasket, but is suppose to fit (i.e. can be squeezed) into the existing portlight cover grove
    - The new gasket supposedly does not require any adhesive to install the new gasket
    - The new neoprene gasket is the only gasket the OEM (Fuller Brush) currently offers

Anyone have any practial experience installing these new gaskets?

Thanks in advance!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Do not glue it in........ It will go into the grove in the plexiglass fairly easy. I used to do it with an old
    popsicle stick. After a few years you may want to pull it out and flip it over and get another few years
    out of it....works well. Lastly, be sure the seam is at 12 o'clock on the port lite when closed to prevent
    possibility of leakage ....

Walt

Surgical tubing of the appropriate size also works well - used that on mine several years ago. Ordered from either eBay or Amazon.

JD,

Just wondering. How did those new style gaskets work out? Is it necessary to remove the port lights to change the gaskets?

Jim

I replaced all of mine a few years ago. They push into the groove, no problem. At first they seem a little large, you can make them fit.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Would also recommend applying a coat of aladdin magic lube to the new gasket to help protect and seal. Given my experience, it will be the last time you ever have to replace the gaskets. You can find it at any pool store or Amazon.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

If you knock out the pins , clean the protruding ends of any corrosion so that the hinge tabs do not crack as you push the pins out . A prior owner sand blasted some of our port glass for privacy, so I replaced with clear panes . I put new seals , using no adhesive. No leaks . Check the wood around the ports . If the interior screws will not tighten , the wood is rotting from behind . The ports might have to be resealed. I used a Dow Corning sealant , 765 I think . I also found out that leaks can easily come from the deck above , especially when holes are made to install something. An amazing amount of water can come through around a loose number 8 screw . I have ignored a small leak not realizing the the plywood behind the veneer is rotting away. A little job then became a really big one , like replacing a wall panel 79 by 36 inches. Anything can be fixed .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL