Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anchor locker clean up

Ahead of re installing the Rebuild Galley Maid windlass I decided to clean up and improve access to the anchor locker. First thing I did was enlarge the opening and install a larger door. Angela if you see this, the door will look familiar as it came out of Sanctuary...

Will make installation a lot easier as well as replacing the solenoids and breaker with 24v versions

Then I got rid of years of dirt along with the old chain which I m going to replace. Turns out Hatteras used painted marine plywood with a few drainage holes. No the best on one side which had a back up line ride which I never used is badly rotted.... going to redo the bottom with foam cored glass.

Not crazy about the locker just draining to the bilge. That’s sloppy. Bear of a job to install drain hoses to a thru hull though...

I never realized how big the locker is... going to get rid of the fender baskets and store the fenders in there, I have a small 18x10 deck hatch which I am replacing with a larger one.

If anyone need fender baskets, 32v GM solenoids, breaker and motor... lmk
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Anchor locker clean up

Agree that a dedicated drain would have been a better option. My locker was in good shape in terms of rot, but I could see the handwriting on the wall. I rolled on two coats of epoxy and worked it in thick in the drain holes. I like the idea of expanding the cabin access door. I store hurricane lines and chains in the locker now. Sorry for orientation.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I need fender baskets for 12” fenders. Are they made from SS tube or strapping? Singles or doubles? I can make either work, but prefer the tubular type.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Sounds like a nice upgrade, but I'm not sure if the hose pic shows what you intend to do. Are you going to 'glass in a hose connection under the the new 'pan' you're putting in, then you'll attach a hose between that and a thru hull? How's the access to the hose clamp that'll go under the pan?

I like the idea of keeping water out of the bilge, and I'm trying to see how I'd do this on my Roamer. Being a metal hull coated with bitumastic, I'd probaly have to use caulk to make the pan seal to the hull...not sure if it'd work, plus I'd lose depth in the locker if I put the pan in high enough to access a hose clamp on the underside.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I need fender baskets for 12” fenders. Are they made from SS tube or strapping? Singles or doubles? I can make either work, but prefer the tubular type.
    I ll post pics tomorrow
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Sounds like a nice upgrade, but I'm not sure if the hose pic shows what you intend to do. Are you going to 'glass in a hose connection under the the new 'pan' you're putting in, then you'll attach a hose between that and a thru hull? How's the access to the hose clamp that'll go under the pan?

I like the idea of keeping water out of the bilge, and I'm trying to see how I'd do this on my Roamer. Being a metal hull coated with bitumastic, I'd probaly have to use caulk to make the pan seal to the hull...not sure if it'd work, plus I'd lose depth in the locker if I put the pan in high enough to access a hose clamp on the underside.
    That hose seen in the picture is the pump out hose going up to the deck fitting.

For the locker drain I m thinking about a simple thruhull fitting or flush deck drain with a hose coming out just under the the new centerline bed and routed aft to the shower sump although I m not sure sending muck to the shower sump is a great idea maybe I can just tap into the washer thruhull, it s just 10’ aft of the locker and just above WL. Should have enough slope
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal, consider lowering the bottom piece you are replacing, I did this about a foot and a half, gives the chain a longer drop and allows me to load a lot more chain without it piling up. We anchor quite often and it has been a big improvement for me. Usually put out around 100 feet of chain and it now reloads without any knocking down at all. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Pascal, consider lowering the bottom piece you are replacing, I did this about a foot and a half, gives the chain a longer drop and allows me to load a lot more chain without it piling up. We anchor quite often and it has been a big improvement for me. Usually put out around 100 feet of chain and it now reloads without any knocking down at all. John
    Any pics of this? I would like to do this but question my skills in glassing a new floor suitable to support 550’ of 3/8 BBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    The locker and drop is plenty deep, the problem is that the windlass is set so far forward that the chain piles up on the hull side and partition. I had a slide made out of starboard which helped. Now that I have room to work I will either make a longer one , or attach a a PVC pioe tonbring thr chain further aft
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Support is not a problem because the hull gets narrower the lower you go so the platform becomes wedged in and cannot slide any lower. If you angle the edges to match the hull sides it is even more secure. I’ve got 300 feet of chain on it with no problems I think I used 2 1/2 sheets laminated together. And glassed over the entire thing. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.