Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 48 to 58 LRC

48 to 58 LRC

I LOVE my 48' LRC and can't believe there could be a better one afloat. We use the boat for family weekends and I am able to stay on the boat a few days each week to work where she is located. When we get our daughter out of college we plan to downsize and maybe relocate the house, move aboard, do the loop and then move the boat with the seasons. My wife has made me promise to always have a house or condo for family holidays, etc. Recently she discovered that there is such thing as a 58' LRC and can envision a Christmas tree aboard and room for family with three staterooms and says we could sell the house altogether and move aboard when the time comes. I do see enough advantages to do so. Three SRs, walkin engine room, additional entertaining area, day head and it would fit in our present slip so the dockage would remain the same until we shove off. We may not be able to find one in the same condition as ours but hopefully find one acceptable and make some upgrades over time. There is certainly more to wash, but a lot of the maintenance should be similar regarding engines, generators, AC systems and general upkeep. Additional heads is both a plus and a drawback. 32 volt system is probably a drawback and insurance may be increased. What else am I missing?
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Re: 48 to 58 LRC

The 65 LRC.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

For the extra ten feet of length, the difference in interior accommodations is dramatic. So is the complexity of all the systems. And you would have to invest a considerable amount over what your 48 will be worth then... but happy wife, happy life.

Paul-

I can't speak to the difference between the 48 and 58 LRC... but I'm just beginnging my relationship with my 58 and learning daily about the systems and complexity of the vessel... so far so good.
    I do thoroughly enjoy the room the 58 LRC offers. I just had 10-14 people on my boat on three separate days over the July 4th holiday and it was enlightening to how comfortable everyone was... I would be glad to provide you any insight I may have …
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The 65 LRC.
    Scott, in my opinion, you win the internet today.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    For the extra ten feet of length, the difference in interior accommodations is dramatic. So is the complexity of all the systems. And you would have to invest a considerable amount over what your 48 will be worth then... but happy wife, happy life.
    Jim, can you tell me more about the complexity of all the systems? Which systems are you talking about? It seems that besides the 32 volt system and things I mentioned that there isn't a drastic difference. But that is exactly what I am interested in hearing.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    Paul-I can't speak to the difference between the 48 and 58 LRC... but I'm just beginnging my relationship with my 58 and learning daily about the systems and complexity of the vessel... so far so good.I do thoroughly enjoy the room the 58 LRC offers. I just had 10-14 people on my boat on three separate days over the July 4th holiday and it was enlightening to how comfortable everyone was... I would be glad to provide you any insight I may have …
    Thanks JD. I had been watching your boat before you bought it and followed your trip. She looks beautiful.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

JD would know better than anyone else here, but I think the bottom line is this: anything you have done by the foot (slip rental, painting, waxing, varnishing) is obviously more. The ships' systems aren't really more complex, but there are a lot more of them, I think. Like seven AC units or something like that? There's just more of everything. Ironically, the engines are the same Detroit naturals that all of them had, and they are probably the simplest part of the boat.

I don't know if your present boat is stabilized, but most of the bigger ones (58 and the few 65s they built) are. JD's boat had them and he is going to refit them. That is a complex system, but there are lots of them out there that work fine.

I think there's just a lot more of everything. Sort of like the difference between my boat and a Series 2 45C, my other favorite Hatteras. More of everything and much of it larger. And, of course, more expensive.

There are five A/C compressors on my 58 LRC.... and yes there is a LOT of everyting....

- Four locations for shore power and associated power switching/alignment panel
    - Five A/C compressors
    - Four heads and associated systems
    - Three fresh water tanks
    - Two generators
    - Four fuel tanks
    - 14 Portlights
    - Two fresh water pumps (120 VAC and 32 VDC)
    - Two flybridge davits
    - and perhaps a partridge in a pear tree.... let you know when/if I find that one..
    Last edited by JD5652; 07-09-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The 65 LRC.
    What he said.

I owned a 41c for many years. Upgraded to a 45c until I boarded a friends 55c. Took the wife, and she loved the room in the 55, said I could start looking. Could not believe that was so easy, so I started looking at 65 convertables. Took her to look, she loved the boats until I told her the size. Took her back to the friends 55, she told me too small to keep looking for a 65 that would appeal to us. Three years after purchasing the 45, I bought the 65c and we love it. Took a year to sell the 45, so we owned 2 Hatts for awhile.

There will be one more upgrade after kids get out of college, just do not know which one yet.

Enjoy,
    Tim
    Fish Tales 65c