Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Journey around the Gulf

I’ve never seen water depth that low in numerous trips in and out of there, but whatever floats your boat. 😊

Could be that I’ve always gone in around sunset and left at first light. I’ve never so much as kicked up sand/mud. As was pointed out, you have enough daylight this time of year to run from Carrabelle to Tarpon, so that might be your best bet. Good luck with the weather as it’s looking pretty iffy at this point.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The Gulf coast isn’t really my backyard, last time I was there was a few years ago delivering a 53 from FLL to Galveston. Wind was an issue (along with mechanical iffyness ) so I stayed as close to shore as possible crossing big bend

I remember stopping in Steinhatxhee, Sea Hagg I think. Quite a culture shock coming from SoFl had never seen so many camo clothing in one place navigation was straightforward although I remember the need stay near the center of the channel.

After crossing big bend i anchored near Carabelle and then ran the ditch. I recall that stretch being pretty scenic

At this time of the year with all the risk of squalls and the area NHC is watching I d be careful running offshore and anchoring out.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Sitting at the Oyster Bar Marina between Orange Beach and Pensacola on the ICW. Left Port Fourchon Monday and went 123 NM around the boot to the Chandeleur Islands. Nice calm seas although predicted to be 2-4'. It did pick up after dark out of the West but our anchorage had the islands protecting us. Weighed anchor about 6:30 this morning and ran across the Gulf to Perdido Pass in Orange Beach. Thunderstorms were out in the gulf so this allowed us to go inland via St. Johns Bay too ICW. Pretty narrow channel there with lots of idiots until we got to ICW. Tomorrow they are calling for 1' seas out to 20 miles so we plan to run across to Panama City. Its about 80 miles. May pick up the speed a little if the weather looks iffy. After that we will be in the ditch to Carrabelle. Will wait there for fairer seas to cross to Tarpon Springs

DNee8rnTT9uN0mjJy0a5QA.jpg
    Leaving Fourchon. The pumpkin patch behind me

OmApNRjWRAup5X1HrntctQ.jpg
    First days path
    QEEeZJwmTueP2S6ltF30qg.jpg

66531924_10217652297010732_7931300455215267840_n.jpg
    Slip at Oyster Bar Marina in Perdido Key. Very tight getting in but nice place.

xiir4kLQQJuqnkJE83pUmA.jpg

Sunset at our anchorage behind Chandeleur Islands

Ak0EsauTSweNnVasqnvT6A.jpg

Arriving to Orange Beach

My wife has more pics. Will post them as we go
    Last edited by Briankinley2004; 07-09-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Ft McRee is a great little anchorage near pensacola pass. There is fuel nearby to the northwest, I'm not certain of the marina names but I'm sure a google search of Perdido would let you know what you need to know.

Getting in Mcree is easy although unmarked on most charts. Here is a diagram of a route that should keep you safe. The channel north of Robertson island is well marked and highly traveled.

SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rusty I went right through there this morning. We stayed at the marina just West of there by the bridge. I was amazed at how narrow that channel was on the ICW by the Sherman Cove on your picture. I made it just fine but would be pretty nervous doing it with a tug and barge. The channel into the marina there where the bridge was taken out is pretty tight too. I don't know if my boat would fit between their markers. I will remember that anchorage though if I ever go back that way.

Made it to Panama City this afternoon. A few thunderstorms but most of the weather is from where we left. First time I have ever had the hurricane symbol pop up on my XM weather while I was actually in the gulf. Looks like more thunderstorms here tomorrow with some wind. The gulf looks rough and its closer to Apalacohola/Carabelle via the ICW anyway so we gonna stay inside and take the scenic route. Will probably hole up there a day or two until weather improves

+ra9e5RWQ5ajumg%+s110Q.jpg
    We are North and East of the action
    NnYJh%XpTbWUqODUuEBM6A.jpg
    Had a nice show from the aircraft at the Navy base leaving Pensacola but didnt have time to get out the camera. Seas were nice and calm for the most part until we got South of Destin then picked up to 2'-3' for a couple hours
    fullsizeoutput_62e.jpg
    Coming in to Panama City

Thursday we went from Panama City to Apalachicola via the Intercoastal canal. Stayed in Apala Thursday and Friday nights waiting for the gulf to calm down from Barry. Decided to head on over to Carabelle today and fuel up for the crossing tomorrow. Stayed at Water Street Hotel/Marina last two nights and at C Quarters marina tonight. Saw a dolphin with a pink belly Thursday in the canal. There is a totally pink one in Cameron LA that I haven't seen but know people that have. Plan to head out in the morning to the Middle Grounds to catch some fish. Overnight there then come in to Tarpon Springs on Monday. Have went 381 NM so far.

fullsizeoutput_631.jpg

Panama City pulling out Thursday

fullsizeoutput_62f.jpg

Pink Belly dolphin. Never got a good picture of stomach. He was fast

kdmRfXrKQyqf9q7JHFLMDQ.jpg

Intercoastal Waterway

58458881254__7E13D58F-E1CD-49C5-B52E-B607A1F80199.jpg

Thursday and Friday at Apalachacola

Q1CGuA+FTu2PzuG4%gJpLg.jpg
    Chocolate water in the Carabelle River

Made it to our final destination in Tarpon Springs this AM on the high tide. Had some detours such as ICW in lieu of offshore due to Hurriane Berry and a couple nights in the slip due to weather. Total trip port to port was 544 NM which could have been 400 NM straight across. Crew was myself and the wife. We are still speaking after this trip and 32 years of marriage. Had some minor mechanical issues such as leaking a/c drains and clogged toilets which were fixed along the way. The only real lingering issue is with my Glendinning synchronizer. One day at sea my starboard (slave) engine suddenly ran up high rpms without notice. Turned everything off and couldn't get it to synch again. On days in the slip did some research including links to trouble shooting here. I am getting the proper voltage to the relay. Have tried moving the ground wire as suggested but still not working thus not the limit switches. I plan on calling them for assistance soon.

I would say my favorite place along the way was C Quarters marina in Carabelle. Great prices and friendly people. Missed my middle ground fishing trip as the weather was worse Sunday night in that area plus it was 20 miles out of the way. We anchored off the Crystal River area for smoother seas and save a little time and fuel. Allowed us to come in to the Anclote on a high tide where it would have been low if we had went to the middle grounds. Will hit that soon I hope.

y3AcqKbcSsaUKNe1KFDTOg.jpg
    C Quarters Marina

Y2h5%4KrRUmWt4HHhCz9lg.jpg

At our slip in the Anclote River
    Attached Images