Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Journey around the Gulf

Took a job in Florida which will require me to move the boat from Port Fourchon, LA to Tarpon Springs, FL. The wife and I plan to leave out Monday and make a cruising vacation out of the deal. Instead of going non-stop directly across as the shortest route we plan to go along the coast. Since its just the two of us and we will be flying back to Louisiana to get vehicles etc we have determined this to be the best way. Our basic itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 Port Fourchon to somewhere outside the Chandeliuer Islands. Originally planned to go a little more offshore but the West winds dictate we anchor/tie up behind the tip of the river.

Day 2 Anchorage point to Pensacola FL. Appx 80-90 NM

Day 3 Pensacola FL to Panama City FL Appx 80 NM

Day 4 Panama City to Carabella FL via Intercoastal Canal. Appx 90 NM

Day 5 Carabella Fl to FL Middle Grounds--anchor overnight

Day 6 Fl Middle grounds to Anclote River/Tarpon Springs. I think Day 5/6 is 150-160 NM

Any local knowledge of good or bad marinas, fuel spots, anchorages, etc would be appreciated. I dont see anything on Active Captain or Waterway guide showing the canal is closed from the hurricane or anything but info on that would be appreciated as well. I am supposed to have a slip in Tarpon when I get there. Should be an interesting trip

Re: Journey around the Gulf

I don't know the area, but have a good trip and post some photos if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I don't know the area, but have a good trip and post some photos if you get a chance.
    Thanks Jim. I plan to do that. I am bad about not taking pictures but my wife will probably make up for my weakness. I regret not taking many more of my various projects on the boat as well.

I made that run a few weeks ago as part of a delivery from Port Aransas TX to Boca Raton. Went from Port Fourchon to Perdido Pass, then Carrabelle, then Clearwater. Then again, except for that first leg, I was running over 20 knots.

If I were running 10 knots or so, I personally would run Carrabelle to Steinhatchee, then to Tarpon. Then again, I prefer marinas to anchoring after an all day run.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks for the info Freebird. Yes I will be 10 knotting it most of the way except turning her up every 4 hours or so to clean things out. I would rather marinas too so will check out Steinhacee. Is it deep enough for a 5' draft boat?

If you are running hull speed (10kts or less), the sea and anchor detail to get in and out of Steinhatchee takes about 2 hours. It also comes with a little navigational risk for a first timer without local knowledge.

I have always weighed this and decided the best slow route is to run Appalachicola straight to Clearwater. This time of year you can do it in daylight leaving Appalachicola at pre-dawn which is easy. Clearwater is much easier than Steinhatchee and can be done at night. I have never considered where or in what depth to anchor in between.

Plus, an overnight in Appalachicola means the best oyster eating anywhere.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with cockpit extension)
    Underway Florida Keys

Don’t forget to check out the Camo store at the marina in Carabelle, about 200 square feet of nothing but Camo gear right inside the main store at one of the marinas. At least it was there a few years ago when we came through there. We did a slow overnight from Carabelle to Clearwater, left at about 4:00 in the afternoon and arrived early morning at Clearwater, watch out for the crab pots off Clearwater.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Thanks for the info Freebird. Yes I will be 10 knotting it most of the way except turning her up every 4 hours or so to clean things out. I would rather marinas too so will check out Steinhacee. Is it deep enough for a 5' draft boat?
    I’m not sure why so many people are afraid of Steinhatchee, but I’m guessing it’s because the charts make it look more shallow than it’s ever been when I’ve gone in and out. Last time I stopped in there was June of last year in a 58MY.

You have two options for marinas, Sea Hag and Good Times. Both have limited dockage for larger boats, and Good Times is extremely limited. Channel is very well marked, but if you miss a marker, it won’t be pretty.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    If you are running hull speed (10kts or less), the sea and anchor detail to get in and out of Steinhatchee takes about 2 hours. It also comes with a little navigational risk for a first timer without local knowledge.

I have always weighed this and decided the best slow route is to run Appalachicola straight to Clearwater. This time of year you can do it in daylight leaving Appalachicola at pre-dawn which is easy. Clearwater is much easier than Steinhatchee and can be done at night. I have never considered where or in what depth to anchor in between.

Plus, an overnight in Appalachicola means the best oyster eating anywhere.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with cockpit extension)
    Underway Florida Keys
    Apalachicola got hit hard by Michael. Boss Oyster and Caroline’s are no more. The oysters have been gone for several years. This last trip is the first time I bypassed Apalachicola for Carrabelle and stayed at Captains Quarters.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I saw on one of the marinas webpages at Steinhatchee that low tide depth can vary from 3.5-6' depending on season. May avoid it since I am going in blind. Looks like we will get in the canal in Pensacola since it is supposed to blow later this week. That should put us out at Appalachola. Then we will decide if we will stay there or Carabelle. May have to stay there couple days until it calms down towards the weekend for the crossing. Will check into the oysters and camo. Carabella seems to have good prices on fuel.