Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Clogged hose ideas

My center head pumps plenty of fresh water into the bowl but it will not suck it out. I remote Galley Maid pump and rebuilt it with new stators and re-installed. Same issue. I spoke to Raz and Jim told me I have a clog in the exit line that leads to the holding tank. My original thought was to replace the hose completely which is an all day job. I then thought to try a snake to try to clear. If that fails I was going to pour Muriatic acid into the hose. Has any one tried any of this ideas? If so can you let me know what worked. Or if you have any other thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Clogged hose ideas

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    My center head pumps plenty of fresh water into the bowl but it will not suck it out. I remote Galley Maid pump and rebuilt it with new stators and re-installed. Same issue. I spoke to Raz and Jim told me I have a clog in the exit line that leads to the holding tank. My original thought was to replace the hose completely which is an all day job. I then thought to try a snake to try to clear. If that fails I was going to pour Muriatic acid into the hose. Has any one tried any of this ideas? If so can you let me know what worked. Or if you have any other thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    Have not had the pleasure on this boat. But you said thoughts welcome so I would wait until the last chance with the acid. Snake would be my first shot. Specifically an electrician's snake. Be mentally prepared for the fact that the hose has collapsed internally and no amount of blunt trauma or chemical warfare will save you from replacing it.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I’ll also try the electricians wire puller are well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have tried Sew Clean recirculated through the hose with a pump. Worked for a awhile (2-3 months) , then it plugged, maybe from loosening the deposits , so badly that it held 80 psi air pressure. This was truly disappointing. Then a new hose fixed all . First time I changed a long hose , it took me 3 weeks, this included painting the bilge . I cut extra hatches and greatly enlarged others. Now it’s a day or two . Check the hose fitting on the discharge end of the pump. I have had them completely clogged with hard deposits. Oscar’s statement about an internally collapsed hose is is something to take to heart .
    Last edited by jmooney; 01-30-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Then a new hose fixed all. First time I changed a long hose, it took me 3 weeks, this included painting the bilge.
    Ha, ha! You said a mouthful there. That's every project of mine.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Consider vinegar and a large shop-vac drawing back.
    Don't pour any acid down there. It has to come out some way. Hopefully not on you or in your eyes unexpectedly.

It’s either going to be the plumbers snake or replace the hose completely. I’ll start using vinegar as a monthly solution.I plan on working on it Tuesday and Wednesday. I’ll keep everybody apprised as to my findings.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I had same problem, replaced hoses still problem, turned out to be the 90' fittings on top of tank had hard deposit inside reducing diameter to 3/8". Replaced fittings and no issues for 6yrs. Had to use heat to get fitting loose.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley_oasis View Post
    I had same problem, replaced hoses still problem, turned out to be the 90' fittings on top of tank had hard deposit inside reducing diameter to 3/8". Replaced fittings and no issues for 6yrs. Had to use heat to get fitting loose.
    I have witnessed this and is a great idea to check into this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I remote Galley Maid pump and rebuilt it with new stators and re-installed. Same issue.
    I have also witnessed good looking and new stators not pump correctly and clogged priming tubes.
    Did this setup work before the pump work or the pump was suspect when the system stopped working?