Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 240 volt from two 125’s using a splitter

Here is a drawing from Hatteras for my transformer.
    Attached Images
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Thumbs up Re: 240 volt from two 125’s using a splitter

I’m staying at Offshore Sports Marina. Problem with many marinas here in Montauk is they were built in the 50’s when a bog boat was 40 ft and few if any had A/C. As the folks buying boats started going bigger and bigger with washer dryers, four A/C compressors etc. the power requirements dramatically increased. I’m the only boat here with power issues and can’t expect the marina to bring in a bigger transformer for one boat. This marina made a decision this spring to give up a few slips and move pilings for the 16 to 20’ beam vessels but didn’t consider the power needs of the bigger boats. I grew up here and return every summer to spend time with family. This is not the place I grew up and cost of everything is crazy from fuel prices to dockage to restaurants. This marina was the only one that would take me for 8 weeks and not require a full seasonal rental that averaged from $10,000 to $14,000. I’m not complaining just trying to understand why I’m having power issues. Bottom line is 208V is all their capable of supplying at this time. Now that I understand the problem I’m ok with trying to work around sone of the challenges of less voltage than I require. Just found out my A/C SMX11 can be set to register and shut down for low voltage and had the tec reset salon unit. Works fine and just use it when it gets hot in the afternoons. I can always run one of my two gen sets if I require better voltage. Now I’ll know for future travel including Bahamas that occasionally I’ll have to deal without all of the amenities we become used to. Sleeping with hatches open at night isn’t the worst thing.Appreciate everyone’s responses. I can always depend on those who have been there done that to jump in and try to help. Best site ever for help.

Actually in Fl and Bahamas most slips have 50amp service and even 100amp or twin 50a on Tee heads and larger slips. Needing a smart Y to connect to twin 30a is mostly a NE thing
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

4. Re: 240 volt from two 125’s using a splitter

Agree Montauk has changed. I've been going there for 30 years, I even got married on Star Island. Every year it gets more and more upscale. Still a great place to catch fish!

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    Agree Montauk has changed. I've been going there for 30 years, I even got married on Star Island. Every year it gets more and more upscale. Still a great place to catch fish!
    Friend passed through the little marina at Orient and said it has been sold to one of the big boys. Stand by for condo's and $3000/month slips.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by tonytrakovich View Post
    Here is a drawing from Hatteras for my transformer.
    I can't read it at that resolution but it looks like it says Polarization transformer. The Polarization transformers were typically on the smaller Hatts. They are not isolation transformers and do not have the capability of boosting voltage.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Call sailor man, I purchased a used portable wards booster from them for $350.00. Works great. They had a few in stock, You just plug it in line on your power cord.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I can't read it at that resolution but it looks like it says Polarization transformer. The Polarization transformers were typically on the smaller Hatts. They are not isolation transformers and do not have the capability of boosting voltage.
    That is the drawing that Hatteras sent me. This was for a 1989 65MY stretched to 78. My transformer did have the taps on the secondary. I believe that the only difference between polarization and isolation is the way the grounds are connected.
    Thanks,

Tony

2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

My 1983 61CMY has similar drawings with no option to use 120v. I have two polarizing Jefferson transformers, with taps that can boost secondary voltage on boat. I have used a club dock every year with 208v which my AC compressors do not like and possibly fried one. Since then I wire one transformer to boost when planing visit to 208v dock. That way I got both covered. Not ideal as have to manage to avoid high electrical loads on boat especially at the 208v docks until changed back to normal. Need to install switches to change over but keeps slipping down the to do list. A true isolation transformer has an internal shield which is attached to shore power ground only. The transformer case should be part of the boats ground system only. I seem to remember some fierce debate on a cruising forum years ago about which is the safer setup in the event of ground failures.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

With a polarizing setup, you need to install a galvanic isolator.
    Thanks,

Tony

2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”