Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

240 volt from two 125’s using a splitter

Staying in Montauk NY for a month and having a real issue with my electrical power needs. Marina has mostly 125v 30 amp power towers. The few 50 amp towers only produce about 200 to 210 volts on my panel and a/c units shut down flashing low voltage . I purchased a Hubbell splitter with the box that the two 30 amp plugs go into and then comes out with a single 50 amp plug to connect my shore cable to. According to my research before buying this expensive splitter, It’s supposed to boost my power to 250v but still only 30 amp which I could live with. When I plugged it in my panel showed only 200volts. Anyone ever have this problem that could suggest a solution. Going to get very expensive running my generator to make 240 volts for a/c and it’s getting hot up here. I put a test meter into the two 30 amp plugs in one tower and get 125v to 130v from each outlet but my panel voltmeter reads about 200 or 210 volts. Going to test voltage coming out of splitter box tomorrow and see if maybe another tower will have better voltage.

Re: 240 volt from two 125’s using a splitter

First question before I answer, do you have a 50/125/250 plug on your boat?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Horse View Post
    Staying in Montauk NY for a month and having a real issue with my electrical power needs. Marina has mostly 125v 30 amp power towers. The few 50 amp towers only produce about 200 to 210 volts on my panel and a/c units shut down flashing low voltage . I purchased a Hubbell splitter with the box that the two 30 amp plugs go into and then comes out with a single 50 amp plug to connect my shore cable to. According to my research before buying this expensive splitter, It’s supposed to boost my power to 250v but still only 30 amp which I could live with. When I plugged it in my panel showed only 200volts. Anyone ever have this problem that could suggest a solution. Going to get very expensive running my generator to make 240 volts for a/c and it’s getting hot up here. I put a test meter into the two 30 amp plugs in one tower and get 125v to 130v from each outlet but my panel voltmeter reads about 200 or 210 volts. Going to test voltage coming out of splitter box tomorrow and see if maybe another tower will have better voltage.
    I did what you said..... two 30's to one 50 and it worked, but only 30 A. My dock only has 208V but
    the 30A sockets do put out about 120+V ea. I know very little about electricity but when I need help
    I call my friend Alec....trician. I bought a voltage booster from Wards in Ft. Lauderdale and it worked
    great. Fairly pricey but worth it.. Since then I discovered that there is a way to boost your power
    intake by switching a few wires in your isolation transformer (which most Hatteras' have). You can
    search this forum for old threads on how to do it...

Walt

Of all the places I ve travelled the NE always had the fewest 50 amp service.

The expensive Smart Y will not change voltage, it only lets you get 220/240 service from a pair of 30 amps outlet but only if they are on opposing phases. Not always the case...to boost voltage at crappy marinas you need a boost transformer as awakt suggested. Maybe worth buying and reselling later...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    First question before I answer, do you have a 50/125/250 plug on your boat?
    I have one 50 amp power cable that can be plugged in to Shore 1 or Shore 2. Depending on which side I plug in I then flip breakers on distribution panel to reflect my choice. Hope that answers your question.

If it were 50/125/250 I could help. Sorry
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I don't think the SMart Y device has a transformer in it, which is what you need. Reconnecting the iso transformer might help, as noted already. The larger Hatteras yachts had/have them.

Just install a boost switch on your isolation transformer and you can boost that 208 to 240. You can use the 50amp plug that way with no need for splitters/combiners.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Just install a boost switch on your isolation transformer and you can boost that 208 to 240. You can use the 50amp plug that way with no need for splitters/combiners.
    Sky, can you elaborate? We only get 208 at our dock and I'd like to boost it.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Just in case anyone wants to know I’ve gotten an explanation of what’s going on with the power issue I’m having.Basically I’m screwed. The Hubbell YQ230 splitter I purchased was a total waste of money and won’t increase voltage going to my boat. The marina only has 220v “Y” power which comes out of the box at about 208 volts. Plugging into two 30 amp 125 V power will not give you more than 208 volts just like plugging into the 50 amp dock outlet may give 50 amp service but still only 208 volts. I have no idea why they make and sell this device and feel like I was taken since it clearly says on the splitter that it will take two 125 v lines and boost it to 240 v with 30 amp service but higher voltage. Possible in another situation it could be helpful but unfortunately not in my case. My research indicates some newer boats have a type of transformer installed that will recognize the lower voltage and boost it to 240v. My boat does not have this transformer so only way for me to get 240 v at this particular marina is to buy a power booster for over $1000.00 or more. Options for me at this point is to move to a marina with 240 v shore power or run the generator to use air conditioning when needed. I have come across this issue before when traveling but now understand why I can’t always get 240 shore power at older marinas that usually don’t accommodate vessels requiring 240v 50 amp service. In the future if I’m planning an extended stay I’ll do my homework better than I did this time. Trying to maintain a half full instead of half empty cup ,weathers been great and time spent with family and grand kids is well worth the inconvenience. Thank goodness I’ve got two gen sets so it’s all good when the heat requires A/C.Thanks to all for your input and help.