Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Low hours blessing or a curse

Looking at a early Hatteras with 12v71ti 650hp DD with only 1400 hours on the engines.

Boat has been in Fresh water for last 20 years.

Boat has been serviced but not used much for big trips. Use has been go cruise around for a few hours here and there.

Are these low hours a blessing or a curse?

If the oil test out good any concerns?

How many hours do you get out of these Detroit Diesels before a Overhaul is needed?

Re: Low hours blessing or a curse

Fresh water is a good thing. Most of what I hear is plan on a rebuild every 2000 hours or so but there are exceptions both ways. If you really like the boat I would have a good Detroit mechanic do a survey of the engines.

Salt air is the killer in lack of use situations as it gets in the cylinders and rusts things up. If in fresh water, low hours may be more of a blessing than a curse.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It’s both a curse and a blessing. Get yourself an outstanding Detroit diesel mechanic have him go through the engines top to bottom. Hopefully you will get real lucky and buy yourself a nice running Hatteras.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Which model is it? 650hp for those engines is not a very high number, if they were well-maintained and will pass a mechanical survey by a good DD guy, I would not worry about them at all.

Thank you for sharing.