Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curved Side Windshields

My '75 Hat 58 LRC has 5 "windshield windows": 3 flat-plate glass panes, and a curved plexi or Lexan window on each side. Those curved plexi/Lexan windows are pretty thick, like maybe 1/4". But they're slowly growing opaque, like a milky white, from sun exposure, I assume.

Has anyone ever located a place that makes/sells curved windshield windows? Or know of someone that makes custom replacements?

Is it possible to get curved glass windows?

Re: Curved Side Windshields

Quote Originally Posted by Juliet 15 View Post
    My '75 Hat 58 LRC has 5 "windshield windows": 3 flat-plate glass panes, and a curved plexi or Lexan window on each side. Those curved plexi/Lexan windows are pretty thick, like maybe 1/4". But they're slowly growing opaque, like a milky white, from sun exposure, I assume.

Has anyone ever located a place that makes/sells curved windshield windows? Or know of someone that makes custom replacements?

Is it possible to get curved glass windows?

Call Sams. I think they have a solution.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

In the aviation world, it’s not uncommon to “polish” a plastic windshield 3-4 times over its useful life to remove surface crazing. Really nothing more than a progressively finer wetsanding, taking it down a few thousandths per event. Once a certain minimum thickness is reached, must be replaced because of reduced strength on pressurized aircraft. Afterward, windshields normally look new. Seems like it would be worth a google search??

I have the same issue as well on the port side window of my 1976 58 LRC.... I will be calling Sams tomorrow.... thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Could you please post the results of your enquiries about how to do this.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Here is the info I got from SAMS.....

They recommend using a company called Cesany Plastics in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. You will need to remove your current windshield and send it to them to be utilized as a template for manufacturing a new window. I have not yet talked with Cesany Plastics yet as to the cost or turnaround of this service. Here is the contact info for anyone needing it before I follow up....

Cesany Plastics

165 NE 32nd Court
    Oakland Park, Florida 33334
    954. 568.2002 office

www.yachtwindows.com

Contact Name: Alex
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Our '84 Extended Deckhouse model has the plastic (Plexiglass?) curved windshield units on both sides.

Ours are noticeably scratched with mostly very fine scratches that are probably the result of exposure to the elements for the last 35 years.

Just yesterday I cautiously started seeing if I could improve their condition with a buffing wheel (3 1/2" diameter, sewn cloth) on a variable speed cordless drill.

After flooding off the residual dirt, I tried using the buffing wheel with some Novus #1 and saw little change. So I switched to Novus #2 and it made a huge difference!

I have not had the time to get back to it yet, but I did spot a bit over one foot square on the aft end of the starboard side, both inside and outside. I am very pleased with the result. I will probably be able to move a bit more quickly as I get to know what the window can handle.

In the attached photo, the polished part is to the right of the center of the photograph. The difference in the way the two halves of the photo look are due to the polishing of the plastic, not due to a shadow on the window or other influence. (There are some scratches in the lower right of the photo that are pretty deep. They appear to be the result of someone removing a sticker from the window. I have not attempted to mitigate them yet.)
    IMG_7683.jpg

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

All I can say Nick is.....WOW......

Walt

Thumbs up Re: Curved Side Windshields

Wow, what a difference! Thanks for sharing, ours are on a 1977 58 LRC look like they need replacement, but will try your method first.

Did you get your LRC windows to look better or did you replace them? If replaced, may I ask the cost? Thanks