Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saloon act it

Saloon act it

I have replaced my dead cruiseraire unit in the saloon of my 53 my
    The new Ocean Breeze unit is providing plenty of cold air but will not turn off with tho old controls despite new off fan run switch
    Techs have put t new trial (whatever that is ) in and are baffled and say I need a whole new control box
    The old controls worked fine until the compressor died
    The system has a box marked saloon acing the engine room which they replaced the trial in
    Any ideas appreciated

Re: Saloon act it

I have a similar problem which was diagnosed as a bad compressor but when I had another tech come out and found compressor to be fine but is wired wrong for a new system with old 3 knob controls. Guy said he would probly need to replace the triac and swap.out some wires and was waiting on info from manuf.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

More info needed

Did you install a new condensing unit in the ER or a self contained

What kind, brand and type of control do you have?

What doesn’t turn off? The blower or the compressor?

The triac is just a relay to turn on the pump.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Easy fix is to switch to digital controls. The FX1 is $400. Just hook compressor wires, pump wires, fan wires on the marked terminals and you're good to go.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Replaced 3 of my condensing units with ocean breeze last year, OB sells there own version of controls for 350.00 incorporates a household type thermostat and a control box with relays and transformer for the low voltage (no electronics) works well the only thing negative is the display on the thermostat is not lit until you touch the screen

Some people like the display to turn off instead of being lit at night...

The nice thing about using home style Tstat is that you can upgrade them to newer tech like WiFi so you can control them remotely from a smartphone
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have just spoken to Ocean Breeze who say they don’t sell a controller for the saloon a/c unit
    They say an FX1 would require some sort of electrical box to go between it and the compressor unit.
    The big problem is that when l turn off the a/c the fan turns off but not the condenser unit in the engine room
    Ocean Breeze say their unit should work off the old 3knob controller and it was built to do so .lhave replaced the off/fan /run switch with anew one. I am in Jupiter and Ocean Breeze don’t have an answer.

sounds like its not wired right, call oscar hes a tech at OB that makes service calls
    772 634 0793

Oscar fitted the unit and sant understand why it’s not working

The owner of Ocean Breeze says an FX1 controller needs the electrics in the condenser unit changing
    My only real problem is the condenser unit will not close down from the 3 knob controller