Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water heater

Water heater

Just did a full re plumbed my freshwater sys and while doing that I noticed my 20gal water heater needs to be replaced due to leaks. It took a lot to finally remove the 22" x22" tank thru my 17.5" doorway. It is wired to a double breaker so I assume it's 220v ac. I cannot find anyone that stocks a 20gal 220v heater anywhere. I really don't need a electrical project to rewire to make it 110v so looking for suggestions. I don't want to use a step down transformer. I found a rheem 20gal in 220v but has dual 3800watt elements and don't think I need that much juice to heat my water. Orig unit was a single element and worked great. Should I rewire for 110v or wait 2 weeks for the 220v.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Water heater

The 20 gal isotherm come in 220 I think it’s 2000 watt. In the search it showed the unit is available but no info. So I had to call That’s what I installed on my boat
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Isotherms are very good- there was a test a while back in a boating journal and they held their heat longer than any others. I think Bacon Sails in Annapolis actually has one on the shelf, you might call them. Also think about plumbing the coolant loop in, you get really hot water underway without running the generator set.

I believe that Raritan sells a 220v 20 gal water heater. We just purchased a new water heater from them through Raz Marine and that was an option on the brochure that they had in the shop. I would give Raz a call and see what they can do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Just did a full re plumbed my freshwater sys and while doing that I noticed my 20gal water heater needs to be replaced due to leaks. It took a lot to finally remove the 22" x22" tank thru my 17.5" doorway. It is wired to a double breaker so I assume it's 220v ac. I cannot find anyone that stocks a 20gal 220v heater anywhere. I really don't need a electrical project to rewire to make it 110v so looking for suggestions. I don't want to use a step down transformer. I found a rheem 20gal in 220v but has dual 3800watt elements and don't think I need that much juice to heat my water. Orig unit was a single element and worked great. Should I rewire for 110v or wait 2 weeks for the 220v.
    Buy a 20 gallon @ 120 volts and change out the element to a 240v element. They can be had at any box store for under 20$. I had the same circumstance. I keep an extra element on the boat just in case.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Jim I didn't think that was do able, you just made my day. Rheem does have a 220v if I feel like waiting a "week". none of the box stores stock the 220v, in fact I can't find one anywhere even the supply houses don't stock them. I can rewire but that's another project and then I have a blank slot on my panel etc. The raritans in 20gal are 20x20, my doorway is 17.5, the isotherm in 20gal are 16x42"H and my rack can drop 5-6" max leaving me 45" from the rack bottom to the eng room ceiling so I then have 3" for my plumbing and it's a bit tight for my liking.I think Im Gonna go with Jim's suggestion and swap out the element. Has anyone else tried this at home or on the boat?

Its called a 19 gallon now due to efficiency ratings on 20gal+ heaters.

This is the exact replacement. Sams sells them as well

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bradford...er-Heater-240V

It fits through the ER door if you remove the trim around the door opening. Don't convert to 120v as then you don't have a balanced load on your inlet cord. The engineers at Hatteras especially in the 1980's did an excellent job with all of the electrical. Don't change it and screw it up. This has happened on too many of these boats.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-26-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I went deep and ordered a Torrid. Fiberglass tank and stainless exterior. This one will never rot out. I went with 220 because it was already wired that way and I wanted a quick recovery time. They are located In Seattle Washington Area.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The torrids look real nice and might last longer than me but I need to finish ASAP. I can't wait a week to get a heater the mrs is pissed as it is having to shower at our clubhouse and doing dishes in cold water. I can get the 120V rheem at any HD for $350 Then swap the elements and git ER dun. I have other projects I need to get working on and some routine maintenance.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA