Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Any metal shop should be able to make the rail

If you re going to make a pulpit, design it with a ledge on the back side to contain dirt and run a drain overboard thru the anchor locker. I hate it when intense the anchor and dirt flows all over the deck!
    Numbers will be all over the place on the SS rail, but I maybe able to make some contacts up here.

Thanks for that tip on containing the dirt and diverting it away so as not to give the deck a 'mud job' wash down when pulling up anchor...

Life is better on a boat....

Thanks,

Mel

Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

Life is better on a boat....

Thanks,

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    The fact of the matter is.....that is one spectacular bow. WOW....a 53 like her only needs to stop for fuel...she looks ocean ready....you can’t anchor in 400+feet of water! Nice hatteras. Be safe out there

I don’t know if this thread is still alive but check and see if Ideal is still around, they make a complete bow/anchor platform out of aluminum that will fit a 53. Our boat came with one. It is a very well made unit and paint actually seems to stick well to it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

My 1978 53MY had that exact setup, and only had 3/4" nylon rode. We used a 101 lb claw and never had a problem, including lots of anchoring out and doing 6.000 mile Great Loop Route. I always anchored by minimum 7 to 1 scope and then backed against the anchor with one engine in reverse until it dug in and held. In mud, I switched to a big Fortress anchor set for mud. Chain is better, but nylon rode works.