Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Looks like it does not have a chain gypsy, just a line capstan
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    My 45 had the same windless. No chain wildcat. Rope only.

Tim
    65C

Cool Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    My 45 had the same windless. No chain wildcat. Rope only.

Tim
    65C
    If I understand this correctly, this windlass setup will only work with an anchor rode of rope or nylon. With a heavy boat as the 53 Hatteras (55,000 dry) 32-33 ton loaded and without a chain rode as long as the boat I would not have any confidence in my anchor's holding ability no matter how much scope I play out. Not to mention the constant chafing issue.

All you 'old salts' please feel free to chime in here on this regarding the wisdom of not using chain at the anchor for holding power to keep that anchor where it should be......dug in the sea bed and secure.

Thanks,

Mel

I think most of us with the motor yachts use all chain 3/8 inch up to 300 feet at least we do. Johnj
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

No chain anchor, no chance of staying anchored!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

My boat has same setup from factory and she holds just fine.
    176Lb Bruce, 50' chain, and the rest nylon 3 strand rode.

I will admit you need to be careful when deploying and retrieving anchor, and long term plan is to replace with a horizontal windlass set slightly further back.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

My boat was delivered new with a Galleymaid windlass with just a capstan and no wildcat, just as shown above. I sent it to Galleymaid and they rebuilt it with a longer shaft to accommodate the wildcat along with a new control box for bi-directional operation. I added 200' of 3/8 HT chain and am completely satisfied with this setup.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Did someone say 176lb anchor? Is that unusual? I think my 60’ has only a 44(kg?). Holds great. 176 sounds crazy to me.

Cool Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    My boat was delivered new with a Galleymaid windlass with just a capstan and no wildcat, just as shown above. I sent it to Galleymaid and they rebuilt it with a longer shaft to accommodate the wildcat along with a new control box for bi-directional operation. I added 200' of 3/8 HT chain and am completely satisfied with this setup.
    It appears that very few 53’s (1976 vintage) came equipped with the windlass setup that I posted. Any idea as to why?Thanks,Mel