Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: need new ac pumps. suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Another view of the spotless engine room. Sigh. I wish mine looked like that, but I'm too damn lazy.
    Dunno.... that compressor looks pretty dusty to me.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have a newer convertible, but was having issues with the forward stateroom and the PS code. Turns out I had a leak in the strainer, then fixed that, everything worked great. Was getting the same code again a few weeks later, turns out the pump, then, had a leak. So, just replaced the whole unit/motor with the same Scot motor pump. I am having the old one rebuilt to have as an extra, as I seem to have issues with those in every boat I have had. Now that no leaks are present, not getting the code. So, water flow to the furthers unit from the pump is critical to avoid that code.

It may be too late for Shayne, but someone asked earlier in this thread about the GPM requirements for AC units.

I have a copy of the Crusair Installation and Operation manual for "DX Remote and Self-Contained A/C".

In that manual, on page 9 they say, "Required seawater flowrate is 4 gpm per ton
    (12,000 Btu/hr) of total system capacity."

It also has some notes about seawater manifolds for multiple units.

If anyone wants a copy of the manual I have scanned it and can send it to them.

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Looked in the generator room Sunday and found these two boxes on the bulkhead to the aft of the air units but when opened they didn’t appear to have triads in them. Will have to pull the diagrams I guess to track them down. Did find switches on top marked on and off. Tried all positions. Seems one of my pumps is working and the other is not. 6 total air units split three apiece.
    Attached Images
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote Originally Posted by iraywest View Post
    Looked in the generator room Sunday and found these two boxes on the bulkhead to the aft of the air units but when opened they didn’t appear to have triads in them. Will have to pull the diagrams I guess to track them down. Did find switches on top marked on and off. Tried all positions. Seems one of my pumps is working and the other is not. 6 total air units split three apiece.
    You should be glad you didn’t find any triads although if they were hiding in these little boxes they d be no threat sorry couldn’t resist

Why don’t you post pictures of what is inside?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Here are the pictures of the inside and top of the box Pascal requested. I suppose the 6 little circuit boards I see is the triads?
    Attached Images
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

2 more pic's.
    Attached Images
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Hi everyone. I'm now cool in key largo! I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I have installed the new pumps and had them direct wired. The issues with the pumps shutting off went away once direct wired. I never figured out why that started to happen after I installed new pumps but direct wiring solved the problem. I really don't think all the triads failed since the pumps turned on for a bit. I was thinking that perhaps the person who wired them up initially wired them backwards so the wrong pump was operating and pumping water to units that were off. Anyway problem solved. I'm happy with these water pumps. 60gpm and quiet.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You should be glad you didn’t find any triads :) although if they were hiding in these little boxes they d be no threat :) sorry couldn’t resist Why don’t you post pictures of what is inside?
    Bypassed the triad box on pump 1 this morning and all air units run with no issue. Thanks for the advise folks. I am going to look for new boxes so I don’t have to continue to turn the pumps on and off with the breaker but at least the boat is cool for now!
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

I have to say that I don’t see the point of bothering with triacs and relays in warm places like SoFl. With multiple units chances are there will always be at least one running and calling (or triac-ing) for raw water.

I ordered a relay box for my twin chillers but haven’t installed it... at least one chiller runs 80% of the time and with the 4, 5 or 6 remote condensers / splits found on most MY, there will always be one running
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat