Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: need new ac pumps. suggestions?

Pascal, it's funny you mention that. I was stunned recently at the hardware West Marine is selling. Lots of brass right next to bronze. The only difference (besides the color, to experienced eyes) was part numbers for some started with BR while the others were BZ.

Pascal,

My boat's getting hull antifouled in the next couple of months. Thinking of getting rid of all the Perko strainers and buying the South Bay strainers as you suggest.

How easy is it to remove / unscrew the old perko strainers from the valves? Access to all of mine is rotten.

Is there a particular South Bay strainer type/size you recommend? I've never seen one.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Just a suggestion here, for anyone who installs new bronze interior strainers, valves or parts- once the installation is done, spray everything with Corrosion-X and it will not turn green and crusty. The stuff is amazing. Best of its kind.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I know...don't you just hate that guy? lol
    My dog loves me.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Pascal,

My boat's getting hull antifouled in the next couple of months. Thinking of getting rid of all the Perko strainers and buying the South Bay strainers as you suggest.

How easy is it to remove / unscrew the old perko strainers from the valves? Access to all of mine is rotten.

Is there a particular South Bay strainer type/size you recommend? I've never seen one.

Here is pic. It s a wedge but with a SS screen that filters out debris

It’s never fun to disassemble old strainers and sea cocks...
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Headed back to the boat on Thursday and will lower the pumps 1.5 inches, replace some ratty hoses and direct wire pumps. Thank you for all the advice. I'll be back in touch soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I really hope you were able to source a BRONZE nipple to attaché the strainer to the sea cock and NOT a BRASS nipple.

Personally I will never use strainers for water makers and air cons, instead external South Bay strainers work much better
    While I use the existing OEM external screen, I also use a Perko sea strainer. For AC pumps specificlly, Perko offers a high volume basket. Also suggest filling the basket with bromine tabs. This will keep the strainer and lines clear of marine growth for quite some time. Grass may be another matter.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Can someone please direct me to the triacs, where they are and what they look like? On my 67’ Hatt, I have the same problem with the owner’s AC unit. None of the others overheat. Had a HVAC guy check all of them out and he said good. Will look at the alternative strainers next time I haul it out as well. I get tired of pulling gold fish out of the strainers.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote Originally Posted by iraywest View Post
    Can someone please direct me to the triacs, where they are and what they look like? On my 67’ Hatt, I have the same problem with the owner’s AC unit. None of the others overheat. Had a HVAC guy check all of them out and he said good. Will look at the alternative strainers next time I haul it out as well. I get tired of pulling gold fish out of the strainers.
    The Triac's, or triggers are in your pump relay box. If they don't work, the water pump won't kick on when the A.C. starts. My relay boxes have a manual override switch, and I just leave them in that position. (Pumps run all the time I have the pump breaker on)
    Attached Images

Thanks. Will track down the relay box!
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC