Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

need new ac pumps. suggestions?

both my ac motors were submerged in water after a pinhole developed in one of the pumps. I think both motors are shot and i want to replace them. The existing motor does not say the flow rate, gpm. i have 7 split units. trying to figure out an upgrade. anyone know the flow rate on these? or have pumps which you are happy with? thank you. bow has an 1/2 hp 4200 gph for $950.
    IMG_1402.jpgIMG_1403.jpg

Re: need new ac pumps. suggestions?

I really like March pumps. The impeller doesn’t corrode or erode like so many pumps and can be replaced without even taking the hoses off if it breaks. Magnetic drive is bullet proof
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

thanks for the reply. i have heard the same. any idea what the gph should be, the amount of flow?

Orberdorfers 109M 120v.. 60 gpm
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 06-25-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Flow is tied to how many btus are being serviced and in how many units. It's not a simple more or less calculation.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I m using a TE-5.5C-MD rated at 30gph for two 36k chillers. That was the recommendation from Flagship when I installed their chillers. If your system uses two pumps, add the BTUs but I would guess two of these would work
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

How is the Flagship system working for you? From time to time I think about new AC units for my boat.

I still have the Oberdorfers on mine but all the charter boats down here use swimming pool pumps. The other yachts down here are going to that as well. That will probably be my replacement too. They run around $300 and are made for saltwater pools. I can find out more information when I go down this weekend if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    How is the Flagship system working for you? From time to time I think about new AC units for my boat.
    Love it. Chillers are much better than splits as they offer redundancy. On one chiller the boat may not be as cold during the day but at night it s fine if necessary
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    thanks for the reply. i have heard the same. any idea what the gph should be, the amount of flow?
    Good morning. I went with the Oberdorfer pumps. 60 gpm. Very quite. But I’ve found that all 7 units error out ps if one reaches the set temp and shut off. Therefore I have to set them so they never shut off and it’s freezing at night. To figure the problem i made the following observations. 1- these are not self priming pumps. 2- sea strainers clear / good overboard discharge. 3- if I only turn one unit on it will ps. 4- If I turn all units on at the same time I won’t get the error. 5- the water pumps shut off before the compressor which causes the ps error. Seems like their is no way the units can be overheating so quickly. The error code comes within 30 seconds. I thought since the pumps are not self priming maybe an airlock at the manifold which is why if I put all of them on and they remain on we don’t get any errors. One friend suggested a few check valves speculating that when the pump shuts the system loses prime. But I did not need this with my old pumps and although the pumps were different I don’t think they were self priming. Perhaps not enough gpm for 7 ac units. Any help is appreciated.