Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1974 43' Double Cabin Engine Room Heat

I'm experiencing high temperature in the engine room of my 1974 43' Double Cabin; the boat is in South Florida and it's August; I can almost hear a collective "DUH" from the forum. South Florida is about as bad as it gets for heat-related problems and I'd like to give the old girl some relief if possible.&nbsp; <br><br>It's hard to know for sure but it looks like the original venting for engine room and non-occupied spaces (several 6" flex hoses) is in place and not modified. There are two (2) original 3" centrifugal fans for clearing fumes that could be changed out for better performing axial flow units but that would be a drop in the bucket.&nbsp; I wanted to see what this body of knowledgeable folks has to say and what successful solutions have been applied to address this issue before I go any further. Thanks- NewHattMan

Re: 1974 43' Double Cabin Engine Room Heat

Open the hatch under the companionway to the galley and put shop fan to blow in there.

This will be slightly more effective than addressing the rising seas from climate change by running your bilge pumps.

Underway that engine room will be the same temperature as the thermostats on the mains (160-180).

At rest it will be the same temperature as the surrounding water (92).

This is the natural order of things.

Bruce

Freestyle
    Tampa