Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras selling market

I am wanting to buy a Hatteras and have about $300,000 to spend.

I have been studying the market and watching Hatteras listings.

I came across Denison Yachts and ran a search. In their search results it shows how long boats have been on the market. Some have been on the market for a 1000 or more days.

Is it hard to sell one of these boats in the 60-75 ft range?

Does anyone know if these days on the market that Denison puts out are accurate?

I love the Hatteras boats so I am not beating up the boats.

Are buyers just few and far between?

If I am going to make an offer on a boat that has been on the market for a year or years how big of a discount would you want? 20 percent or 30 percent? Or more?

Re: Hatteras selling market

if they are on the market for that long there could be a couple of things wrong....
    priced too high
    in too rough of shape for the price (boats are expensive to bring back from neglect)

a good boat that is priced right will not last that long on the market
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Some boats are listed for sale at high prices purposely. If someone comes along and buys it (rare),
    then it made the seller happy. The seller is not a serious seller otherwise he would get real with the
    listing price. I know of a couple of guys that have their boats listed for about three years and they both
    said "If someone gives me my price, I'll sell it but otherwise I'm not really interested in selling...

Walt

Older boats are often hard to finance and insure. That reduces the potential buyers market considerably. It also means it’s usually a buyers’ market if boats are not readily financeable. Hard to say on discounts. My PO tried to make a profit on his boat by marking it up 100% from his purchase price. He put in close to half a million bucks (on a $150K purchase) over four years, and I ended up with the boat for a what he paid for it. That was about half off notwithstanding the $700K the previous previous owner spent! Seems like most boats I’ve looked at were initially priced realistically and, thereby, yielding lower discounts. There are just too many variables on these older boats. Eye of the beholder.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

When I bought mine a couple years ago I found that asking prices were inflated. I looked at a 50' that I offered 40% below asking price and the seller was seriously considering it. I backed off because of some issues and distance. I wound up paying a little over 30% below asking price on my purchase and some fellow boaters I know did the same. Then I know people who paid asking price because they really wanted the boat and thought it was a deal.

What type boat are you looking for? I know someone who is about to list a 60' sportsfish with V12 Manns. I think its a mid 80's. Pretty sure it will be below your budget numbers

What type boat are you looking for? I know someone who is about to list a 60' sportsfish with V12 Manns. I think its a mid 80's. Pretty sure it will be below your budget numbers[/QUOTE]

I am wanting a Motor Yacht with or without the cockpit.

Cruising the Bahamas with a small poling skiff 14ft-16ft (weight will be about 500 lbs with motor) on top to be able to bonefish.

60 ft-70 ft

I don't mind spending the money to maintain but I do not want to get into remodeling or refitting the boat. Adding safety and electronics to upgrade is not problem.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Older boats are often hard to finance and insure. That reduces the potential buyers market considerably. It also means it’s usually a buyers’ market if boats are not readily financeable. Hard to say on discounts. My PO tried to make a profit on his boat by marking it up 100% from his purchase price. He put in close to half a million bucks (on a $150K purchase) over four years, and I ended up with the boat for a what he paid for it. That was about half off notwithstanding the $700K the previous previous owner spent! Seems like most boats I’ve looked at were initially priced realistically and, thereby, yielding lower discounts. There are just too many variables on these older boats. Eye of the beholder.
    What all did they do for 500k and 700k?

I bet she is beautifully equipped.

Have done much to her since you purchased the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Some boats are listed for sale at high prices purposely. If someone comes along and buys it (rare),
    then it made the seller happy. The seller is not a serious seller otherwise he would get real with the
    listing price. I know of a couple of guys that have their boats listed for about three years and they both
    said "If someone gives me my price, I'll sell it but otherwise I'm not really interested in selling...

Walt
    Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post
    What all did they do for 500k and 700k?

I bet she is beautifully equipped.

Have done much to her since you purchased the boat?
    They did everything from overhauling motors to adding a hardtop to gutting the interior. But $1.2 million is really probably twice the value added because the work was done both in the BVI and USVI.

And yes, I've done a lot to her. There is always plenty to do on an old boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post
    What type boat are you looking for? I know someone who is about to list a 60' sportsfish with V12 Manns. I think its a mid 80's. Pretty sure it will be below your budget numbers
    [/QUOTE]I am wanting a Motor Yacht with or without the cockpit.

Cruising the Bahamas with a small poling skiff 14ft-16ft (weight will be about 500 lbs with motor) on top to be able to bonefish.

60 ft-70 ft

I don't mind spending the money to maintain but I do not want to get into remodeling or refitting the boat. Adding safety and electronics to upgrade is not problem.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are exactly where I was 2 years ago. I spend years searching for the right boat. In early 2017, I found it. 63' MY, very well maintained. Came with a 13' Whaler w/ 40hp. I began with a offer 25% below ask and she sold at 17% under ask.
    Regarding insurance and finance, I've not had a problem.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Passages; 06-25-2019 at 05:07 PM.