Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hatteras selling market

I am wanting a Motor Yacht with or without the cockpit.

Cruising the Bahamas with a small poling skiff 14ft-16ft (weight will be about 500 lbs with motor) on top to be able to bonefish.

60 ft-70 ft

I don't mind spending the money to maintain but I do not want to get into remodeling or refitting the boat. Adding safety and electronics to upgrade is not problem.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are exactly where I was 2 years ago. I spend years searching for the right boat. In early 2017, I found it. 63' MY, very well maintained. Came with a 13' Whaler w/ 40hp. I began with a offer 25% below ask and she sold at 17% under ask.
    Regarding insurance and finance, I've not had a problem.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Would you mind sharing the year of your boat and what you spend a year maintaining the boat?
    Not slip fees and fuel and but just what you spend keeping the boat in good shape and fixing the things that break.

If you don't care to that is ok.
    Thank you Skiff

If you want the formula for offers its simple.

Take the asking price. Divide by the square root of the days on the market. Multiply by the percentage of the year that's considered boating season in its area then add 5% for each major overhaul. Multiply by the inverse of the last 2 digits of the year built and then add 10% of the last 5 years cost of upgrades.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A friend one told me, regarding complex toys, ownership required you to be rich or handy. I would assert that a little of both is necessary. All boats come with a lifetime guarantee.... something expensive will soon break! So be ready for it. Whenever I spend a chunk of change on my boat, it's comforting to look at the cost of a NEW 63' yacht. Suddenly, 30 or 40 grand doesn't sound so bad! I enjoy working on my boat, I'd guess most folks on here do. Whenever you buy a 25-35 year old boat, just expect to have work done to it, and it's not cheap... but it's not a 2.5 million dollar boat either.

Alternative view: If it flies, floats or f#%@s, lease it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post

Would you mind sharing the year of your boat and what you spend a year maintaining the boat?
    Not slip fees and fuel and but just what you spend keeping the boat in good shape and fixing the things that break.

If you don't care to that is ok.
    Thank you Skiff
    Year 1, I spent $30k but that includes a bunch of dress up interior bling for the Admiral.
    Now that that is done year 2 saw me spending $13,000 but 7500 of that was hauling for paint (2 coats) zincs, stabilizer work.

I do most maint myself. Exception is bottom cleaning, boat washing (8 manhours to do it right), canvas and major mechanical/electrical work.

I have spent 20k since I bought the boat 4 years ago.

Mechanically every thing is maintained / upgraded to always get me home. You could say she is preserved.
    Aesthetically she is challenged but so Am I. And some of the yacht club folk disapprove.
    She is very close to original from factory, thanks to our government owning her at one time. A big shout out to the Feds for the *@#$ paint job.

I do most work myself apart from bottom jobs every 18 months.
    Been lucky with no major failures, do not use diver, no fancy detail jobs, and I don't expect, or want her to be like most new boats produced today.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

As nearly as I can determine, I spend about 8K a year on Blue Note. Slip is 2500/year, winter haulout etc about the same, the rest is upkeep, fuel, washing, etc. I am able to do most of the work myself, or with help from friends as I get older. Mind you, she is smaller than a lot of the Hatteras yachts on this site, and I've owned her 28 years, so on some things I am approaching the second replacement.

At one time I really wanted to trade up to a Series 2 45C, but fortunately I did not. Other things became more important, and anyway I had the right boat for me. Despite getting older, I hope I still get several more years with her.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    As nearly as I can determine, I spend about 8K a year on Blue Note. Slip is 2500/year, winter haulout etc about the same, the rest is upkeep, fuel, washing, etc. I am able to do most of the work myself, or with help from friends as I get older. Mind you, she is smaller than a lot of the Hatteras yachts on this site, and I've owned her 28 years, so on some things I am approaching the second replacement.

At one time I really wanted to trade up to a Series 2 45C, but fortunately I did not. Other things became more important, and anyway I had the right boat for me. Despite getting older, I hope I still get several more years with her.
    I totally agree with you... The best times with any Hatteras that I've owned(4 of them) were on my 43
    DC's. They were plenty roomy for us but as with most boat owners we always lust for more and larger.
    When we go larger it seems that it's not so much extra work to take care of the next larger model and
    then we get into the trap. Yes I know 36' or 56' still have only 2 engines and all the other stuff like
    generators (larger boats may have 2) but somehow I felt that the amount of time I needed to take care
    of either of my 43's was substantially less than with the larger boat. It got to the point that I was working
    more and using it less. Maybe the fact that i hit 80 a couple of years ago had something to do with it.
    I think the answer is to either have a smaller boat and enjoy it or else hit a lottery and buy a brand new
    80+ boat and hire someone like Pascal to take care of it for you. The comments are just my personal
    feelings and observations and I'm sure many on this forum will disagree, but that's what makes the HOF
    so interesting....

Walt

What I realized was that 1) my boating wouldn't change. I wasn't going to go offshore fishing, or run the ICW. I was going to stay in the Bay and boat more or less locally. 2) my cost of boating would quadruple- for going the same places. 3) I would have to give up my current slip, which the 45C wouldn't fit into 4) most of all, I would have to watch someone else drive my 36C away. I decided I couldn't bear that, and I wasn't going to put myself through it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    4) most of all, I would have to watch someone else drive my 36C away. I decided I couldn't bear that, and I wasn't going to put myself through it.
    That's a tough one. I was choking back tears when I sold Passages for a very good price in 2007