Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Hatteras selling market

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Try Light Stream boat loans through SunTrust Bank. They are unsecured and a very easy process.Tony
    Thank you Chandler

We bought out YF this past December. It was listed for $220k. After 21 pages of deficiencies documented by our surveyor, we purchased for a lot less. A LOT LESS. Now I’ve done 90% of the repairs and a few big ticket item not listed. Complete tuning of all 4 shafts, both props, all bearings, and shaft and rudder packing glands. I went from 14 mpg top speed to 19 mph top speed and my cruising speed increased from 9 to 12. I’m having the tanks cleaned this week. Then new fuel injectors and tune the turbos and superchargers. This boat has a lot of custom work, hard top and outriggers (which seem to be one of a kind). I think I can get $300+ when it’s done. With a boat of this age, I think it really boils down to the condition and how the previous owner maintained the boat. ALSO, and this is a big one in my opinion, maintenance RECORDS. My boat came with YEARS of records which I appreciate going through and obviously I keep records of everything I do.My buying tips. 1. Before traveling to see a boat. Ask to speak to the owner to get a feel for it first. Although, we traveled to the Bahamas to see a HATTERAS and it was NOTHING like the owner said. He didn’t even show up for the viewing. It wasn’t a completely wasted trip because we were in the Bahamas. Lol but still pissed me off. 2. Ask to speak to the owner. 3. Ask to speak to the owner. I will. NEVER buy a boat again without speaking to the owner. The agent from DENISON told me that the boat had no Maint records and would not let me speak to the owner. We knew we’d never find a boat like this and we WANTED it. So we made the offer. About 3 days before closing, I ran into the seller. We spoke for about an hour and It would have taken me a year to learn what he told me about the boat in that one meeting. Sellers will lie, but if you can read between the lies, a few good details will really make you appreciate your new boat. 4. Get a really good surveyor. It should take at least 8 hours to complete. My surveyor took about 10 hours and was helping me through the purchase and even months later. His name is Marc Hundley (305) 758-0158 Here in Miami. 5. A home Sale gets stale after about 40 days on the market. ( I’m a realtor) A yacht listing gets stale around 9 months. We saw our boat 6 months before we made an offer. 6. Unlike houses, boats don’t really have a comparative market. Especially at this age, I found them from $30k to $350k. All depends on condition. I think you should be able to find a YF from the 70’s in the 100-300 range then it’s up to you as to what it’s worth. 7. Don’t rush but...... if you find the one you fall in love with, my advise is BUY IT. The first boat we saw, I fell in love with. But did not jump on it. Someone else outbid us. Now when I watch our 1st YouTube video, I see it and it was a beautiful boat. I feel like I made a mistake but not really because I lucked out and we got this one. Mind you, I paid more than I initially wanted because this was a one of a kind and I knew I would not find another like this one. Now I have no regrets. After seeing all the YF’s out there, I know I got lucky. 8. Even though you might think that having a Broker will cost you more, trust me, it could save you thousands. Sure buying a boat is easy. Give money, get a boat. Lol. But a good broker will see the things you don’t. I’m an expert at selling and buying. HOMES. I still use a yacht broker. Call me if you need one. 9. Don’t use the listing broker. They DO NOT represent you. Correction... scratch that. THEY REPRESENT THE SELLER. GET YOUR OWN. If you need one, call me. 305-323-6195. Location does not matterJUST MY OPINION. HOPE IT HELPSOur YouTube channel logs our complete experience. Check it out. YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERPLAN MIAMI View Post
    We bought out YF this past December. It was listed for $220k. After 21 pages of deficiencies documented by our surveyor, we purchased for a lot less. A LOT LESS. Now I’ve done 90% of the repairs and a few big ticket item not listed. Complete tuning of all 4 shafts, both props, all bearings, and shaft and rudder packing glands. I went from 14 mpg top speed to 19 mph top speed and my cruising speed increased from 9 to 12. I’m having the tanks cleaned this week. Then new fuel injectors and tune the turbos and superchargers. This boat has a lot of custom work, hard top and outriggers (which seem to be one of a kind). I think I can get $300+ when it’s done. With a boat of this age, I think it really boils down to the condition and how the previous owner maintained the boat. ALSO, and this is a big one in my opinion, maintenance RECORDS. My boat came with YEARS of records which I appreciate going through and obviously I keep records of everything I do.My buying tips. 1. Before traveling to see a boat. Ask to speak to the owner to get a feel for it first. Although, we traveled to the Bahamas to see a HATTERAS and it was NOTHING like the owner said. He didn’t even show up for the viewing. It wasn’t a completely wasted trip because we were in the Bahamas. Lol but still pissed me off. 2. Ask to speak to the owner. 3. Ask to speak to the owner. I will. NEVER buy a boat again without speaking to the owner. The agent from DENISON told me that the boat had no Maint records and would not let me speak to the owner. We knew we’d never find a boat like this and we WANTED it. So we made the offer. About 3 days before closing, I ran into the seller. We spoke for about an hour and It would have taken me a year to learn what he told me about the boat in that one meeting. Sellers will lie, but if you can read between the lies, a few good details will really make you appreciate your new boat. 4. Get a really good surveyor. It should take at least 8 hours to complete. My surveyor took about 10 hours and was helping me through the purchase and even months later. His name is Marc Hundley (305) 758-0158 Here in Miami. 5. A home Sale gets stale after about 40 days on the market. ( I’m a realtor) A yacht listing gets stale around 9 months. We saw our boat 6 months before we made an offer. 6. Unlike houses, boats don’t really have a comparative market. Especially at this age, I found them from $30k to $350k. All depends on condition. I think you should be able to find a YF from the 70’s in the 100-300 range then it’s up to you as to what it’s worth. 7. Don’t rush but...... if you find the one you fall in love with, my advise is BUY IT. The first boat we saw, I fell in love with. But did not jump on it. Someone else outbid us. Now when I watch our 1st YouTube video, I see it and it was a beautiful boat. I feel like I made a mistake but not really because I lucked out and we got this one. Mind you, I paid more than I initially wanted because this was a one of a kind and I knew I would not find another like this one. Now I have no regrets. After seeing all the YF’s out there, I know I got lucky. 8. Even though you might think that having a Broker will cost you more, trust me, it could save you thousands. Sure buying a boat is easy. Give money, get a boat. Lol. But a good broker will see the things you don’t. I’m an expert at selling and buying. HOMES. I still use a yacht broker. Call me if you need one. 9. Don’t use the listing broker. They DO NOT represent you. Correction... scratch that. THEY REPRESENT THE SELLER. GET YOUR OWN. If you need one, call me. 305-323-6195. Location does not matterJUST MY OPINION. HOPE IT HELPSOur YouTube channel logs our complete experience. Check it out. YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Wow. That is awesome information and I appreciate it.
    I have enjoyed your YouTube channel and sharing your videos has been a big help for people like myself learning about these great Hatteras Yachts.

Thank you
    Chandler

I agree with most of the comments already listed.

I was searching high and low for a 53MY fresh water and finally found the one I wanted last year. (It took me two years...). The boat was in excellent condition, but still overpriced. I went in at 75% of asking price and the seller responded with a $1,000 increase counter. He had to have the last word.

I always suggest going in low on an offer on a boat, and I AM NOT a negotiator. When a seller is ready to sell, they are ready to sell just to take it off their hands.

Two seasons in and my wife and I love Hattrick. (Formally: Slugger III, August Night, Top Hat & Tails, and Tommie C).

BTW...first post on Sam's Marine and I have determined that I am ruined for life. I will never get any work done.

Happy Boating,
    Eric
    1980 53MY
    Hattrick