Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Re: 8v92's won't start summer commissioning.

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    I can tell the easiest (and wrong) way and all the experts will chime in as to why this is a terrible way to do it but it will work. Open your throttles all the way and have someone give a shot of either to get it going. It will pull the air bubble through without having to crank the starter too long. Once it catches pull the throttles back so you don't rev them up. Check the emergency shut off first!
    It doesn't work like that. Racks are at full fuel when the engine is stopped or cranking. The rack gets pulled back by the governor after the engine starts.

I can't imagine how fast that poor engine would go from zero to full high idle when started with the throttle wide open!!!

Personally, I would never use ether on a Detroit. I know of no better way to trash an engine. YMMV.

Install a proper priming pump on each engine.
    Last edited by kelpy; 06-24-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Re: 8v92's won't start summer commissioning.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    It doesn't work like that. Racks are at full fuel when the engine is stopped or cranking. The rack gets pulled back by the governor after the engine starts. I can't imagine how fast that poor engine would go from zero to full high idle when started with the throttle wide open!!!Personally, I would never use ether on a Detroit. I know of no better way to trash an engine. YMMV.Install a proper priming pump on each engine.
    Exactly. These aren’t gassers. You’re already at full throttle, regardless of controls, at start until the governor takes control.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Go you YouTube and look up priming fuel for DD.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    It doesn't work like that. Racks are at full fuel when the engine is stopped or cranking. The rack gets pulled back by the governor after the engine starts. I can't imagine how fast that poor engine would go from zero to full high idle when started with the throttle wide open!!!Personally, I would never use ether on a Detroit. I know of no better way to trash an engine. YMMV.Install a proper priming pump on each engine.
    The previous owner of my boat rebuilt the engines at 3000 hours. He blamed his use of ether for their early demise and installed block heaters during the rebuild to avoid using it in the future.

5. Re: 8v92's won't start summer commissioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Seapig100 View Post
    The previous owner of my boat rebuilt the engines at 3000 hours. He blamed his use of ether for their early demise and installed block heaters during the rebuild to avoid using it in the future.
    Block heaters and priming pumps are your friends!!!

Or a cross feed
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

There has been lots of discussion on this site regarding priming pumps including brands and various
    ways to hook them up. It's not difficult at all. The best primer pumps are gear pumps IMO.

Walt

Check your air flaps.

So I need to crack each injector line, one at a time while cranking?

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Check your air flaps.
    Air flaps?