Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

8v92's won't start summer commissioning.

I just tried to fire up for the first time this year. Both engines fired up and ran immediately for around 30 secs and shut off. I have fuel in my visible racor filters. Both engines will only fire for a second and sputter and die. Both lights are on for engine oil pressure/water temp but I can't remember if that was always the case before they actually run. It almost feels like the boat is shutting the engines down itself. I could understand one not starting but 2 at once after years of no issues has me puzzled. Boat is an 80 50c.

Re: 8v92's won't start summer commissioning.

You’re not getting fuel. You most likely have air in the lines. Try priming the lines.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hello, check all of the fuel shut off valves. It sounds crazy but someone may have shut something off. My starboard engine started then quit this year upon launch, valve was closed where the hose to the fuel pump connects. I was the jerk who shut it off to fix the hose and forgot all about it.

Walt Hoover

Reprime them. What was done to the fuel system since they last ran? Any filter change? It sounds like air in the line
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Nothing changed since last year. Boat has been in the water and block heaters were on all winter. What's the easiest way to prime the lines? Should I drop my filters and fill them?

Same thing happened to me (871T) when I was launched this season both lit right up then stbd stalled on wouldn't restart. I had fuel in racors and motor mounted filter was full. I had mechanic crack the fittings while I repeatedly cranked and I was back in business in a minute or so. Mech said the check valve might need cleaning, this is my first year with boat and was told at survey port side has an air leak and by shutting off the valves I would be fine until repaired so with all the valves off I assume my leak,is between valves and motor. I see no fuel drips anywhere so it's gonna be fun finding.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by Adembins View Post
    Nothing changed since last year. Boat has been in the water and block heaters were on all winter. What's the easiest way to prime the lines? Should I drop my filters and fill them?
    I used to have a printing issue on my port 8V71. Sometimes I would disconnect the racor outlet and rig a manual brass transfer pump there. That would pull fuel thru the racers and push it to the fuel pump.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

8. Re: 8v92's won't start summer commissioning.

I can tell the easiest (and wrong) way and all the experts will chime in as to why this is a terrible way to do it but it will work. Open your throttles all the way and have someone give a shot of either to get it going. It will pull the air bubble through without having to crank the starter too long. Once it catches pull the throttles back so you don't rev them up. Check the emergency shut off first!

I had that happen on several of my boats with DD's. I guess over the winter somehow air got into the
    lines. There was just enough for the engines to start but not to continue. I got tired of cracking fittings
    to purge air etc..which worked BTW, so I just installed electric priming pumps and presto, problem
    solved.

The ether caper will probably work but the risk of having a dry engine start in WOT mode is kind of asking
    for trouble....now or later. I would not recommend it. Perhaps if the engines were equipped with some
    kind of "pre-luber" that would circulate the oil prior to starting, may be OK, but I still would not do it.

Walt

Walt, where did you connect the priming pump? I just got a gear driven oil change pump and a priming pump is next on my list.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.