Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Macerator Piping Question

Mine may be in the same location as yours. I know they are "along that wall". Have you tried putting Bromide tablets in your toilet strainers. I do this on mine and it seems to kill the odor from the seawater when it enters the bowl. We don't have any pump outs anywhere near us but will where we are moving too. I hope to get a pump installed so when I do get odors I can take her offshore and eliminate. Interested in hearing the results of your experiment. I bet the tanks can be cleaned by putting them about 1/3 full and running offshore in 3-5' seas then pumping out. I used to clean my RV tank like this on Louisiana roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Mine may be in the same location as yours. I know they are "along that wall". Have you tried putting Bromide tablets in your toilet strainers. I do this on mine and it seems to kill the odor from the seawater when it enters the bowl. We don't have any pump outs anywhere near us but will where we are moving too. I hope to get a pump installed so when I do get odors I can take her offshore and eliminate. Interested in hearing the results of your experiment. I bet the tanks can be cleaned by putting them about 1/3 full and running offshore in 3-5' seas then pumping out. I used to clean my RV tank like this on Louisiana roads.
    Don’t get yourself indicted. Been using bromine tabs for years.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Different boat, but same issue. Had 3 older brothers on board for trip to Bahamas (let’s just say max usage of the facilities), 1st two marinas didn’t have working pumpout. So, during our haul-out this month I decided to upgrade. I didn’t have the cast iron constitution to do the job so hired it out. Cha Ching. Cut open top of forward 95 gallon tank, retrieved remnants of old pick up tube that was causing partial obstruction when pumping out at dock. Installed Jabsco 24V self-priming bellows pump. I wanted to go with something heavier duty AC but the installer swears by this pump and said he would back it up. He installed separate pick up tubes for dockside and underway pump out so I don’t have to change the valve position. Fabricated new flange plate on top of tank. Plumbing Y-valve to mid-ship tank so can select to pump from either tank. Here is a photo. We re-purposed the thru-Hull for the raw water wash down on the foredeck with a new larger fitting for the waste exit when we pump out underway. Will be changing the anchor wash down to freshwater. Installed Dometic key system with timer, currently set for 25 gallon increments with each turn of the key, but I may adjust that later. We’re supposed to splash tomorrow, knock wood if the new exhaust components all go in properly today.
    Attached Images
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Robert ,I converted one of my Galley maids to fresh water recently, just installed another pick up tube on top of my fresh water tank put a check valve in line and then a 3 way valve before the galley maid pump works great its not on the pressure side of the system , just turn off 3 way valve when re filling fresh water tank to make sure dock hose pressure dosnt fill up toilet bowl

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Different boat, but same issue. Had 3 older brothers on board for trip to Bahamas (let’s just say max usage of the facilities), 1st two marinas didn’t have working pumpout. So, during our haul-out this month I decided to upgrade. I didn’t have the cast iron constitution to do the job so hired it out. Cha Ching. Cut open top of forward 95 gallon tank, retrieved remnants of old pick up tube that was causing partial obstruction when pumping out at dock. Installed Dometic TW 24V self-priming bellows pump. I wanted to go with something heavier duty AC but the installer swears by this pump and said he would back it up. He installed separate pick up tubes for dockside and underway pump out so I don’t have to change the valve position. Fabricated new flange plate on top of tank. Plumbing Y-valve to mid-ship tank so can select to pump from either tank. Here is a photo. We re-purposed the thru-Hull for the raw water wash down on the foredeck with a new larger fitting for the waste exit when we pump out underway. Will be changing the anchor wash down to freshwater. Installed Dometic key system with timer, currently set for 25 gallon increments with each turn of the key, but I may adjust that later. We’re supposed to splash tomorrow, knock wood if the new exhaust components all go in properly today.
    Pump type corrected to Dometic. Edit function not working.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Jerry thanks for the photo and information. Robert you were correct on the location of the deck plates. They are just outside the galley. The hose I saw was the fill hose for the water tank running along the foot of my bed in the bilge. The, I think, good news in this is that both hoses are semi accessible from the engine room. I think I will be able to build a small shelf on the wall between the water heater and a/c units to mount the pump on. The problem will be accessing the piping and if there will be enough room for the y valves, etc. Having the pump in the ER will be better because I have numerous sources for power in every range. It will also make changing the valves easier. I guess my next step is to get measurements on things and see if I can fit. If I can I just hope I can get to the lines to cut without removing the water heater and fire sprinkler canister.

FSrOReb4RYKLRMfZhkWo7w.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in S Fla View Post
    Robert ,I converted one of my Galley maids to fresh water recently, just installed another pick up tube on top of my fresh water tank put a check valve in line and then a 3 way valve before the galley maid pump works great its not on the pressure side of the system , just turn off 3 way valve when re filling fresh water tank to make sure dock hose pressure dosnt fill up toilet bowl
    An important valve to remember, hence, not for me with my memory. Thanks for sharing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC