Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Macerator Piping Question

My 55C apparently came stock without an overboard macerator pump. The only way I know of to get waste out of the holding tank is via a marina pump out at the deck fitting. I would like to install a pump where I can empty the tanks while offshore beyond the no discharge area. The easiest area to install would be to tap in to the line where the waste enters the tanks from the Galley Maid toilet head pumps. I would think for this to work the inlet hose for the tank would have to have a tube that goes to the bottom of the tank so the added pump could suck most all of the waste out. Does anyone know if the boats were built this way so waste is added to the bottom of the tank or do they just dump in the top? If they just dump in the top does anyone have any experience with adding a tube that would do this or is it even possible? The other option would be to tap in to the deck fitting lines somehow but they seem to be in an area that would be hard to access. If anyone has a 50, 52 or 55 sport fish with a pump that could provide pictures or info on where they install that would be great too.

Re: Macerator Piping Question

Find the hose that goes from tank to pump out port, cut it and add three way marelon valve and plumb your thru hull and macerater to it. Then lock it up set to dockside pump out so when you get boarded by the CG you meet the specs.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Tapping into the deck pump out line is the easiest because it is already hooked to a tank draw tube. I put a shut off valve in the line to the macerated just so I would have no issues when using the deck pump out. Also don’t waste money on the cheap Jabsco macerated pumps get a good Sealand that can run dry. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I was afraid of this. I have two tanks. One is located under a hatch in the master suite and the other in the guest stateroom. Will probably be a booger plumbing them and there is no room in either hatch area for the pump. Ideally would locate it in the wall of the master stateroom where both hoses go to the deck but will have to add an access hatch along with wiring. If I could pull from the hoses at the head pumps I could mount in the forward bilge where pumps are and there is already 32volts there.

I really doubt the head discharge thru a dip tube. You will have to put the valve in the hose going to the deck pump out

If you discharge thru an underwater thru hull make sure you install syphon break and loop
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Does anyone know of a 110 Volt pump that would work for this. If I have to locate where the two pipes come through the deck I think it would be easier to find 110 volts plus a 32 volt pump is going to be difficult to find as well as getting a circuit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I was afraid of this. I have two tanks. One is located under a hatch in the master suite and the other in the guest stateroom. Will probably be a booger plumbing them and there is no room in either hatch area for the pump. Ideally would locate it in the wall of the master stateroom where both hoses go to the deck but will have to add an access hatch along with wiring. If I could pull from the hoses at the head pumps I could mount in the forward bilge where pumps are and there is already 32volts there.
    Need to correct you on something, maybe. The hoses in the wall in the master are your holding tank vent hoses. I have a galley up, may be different if your is galley down.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Or you could run a 12v pump off your genset battery...

Headhunter makes some very good 240v waste pumps, I m sure they have them in 120 as well. Pricey though...

Whatever you do don’t use the cheap Jabsco pumps. They are crap and will burn up if run dry even shortly. Best pump is Sealand bellows
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Need to correct you on something, maybe. The hoses in the wall in the master are your holding tank vent hoses. I have a galley up, may be different if your is galley down.
    Robert,

I have not looked lately so you could be right however the deck fittings for both tanks are on my starboard deck just outside the master stateroom. The tanks are located under the master and guest staterooms. I plan to go down this weekend so if it has to be in the pump out hoses I will come up with a plan. Do you happen to have a pump on yours? I have a friend with a 60 in Houma, LA with a pump. I may go look at his as the layouts are similar. And yes mine is galley up.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Robert,

I have not looked lately so you could be right however the deck fittings for both tanks are on my starboard deck just outside the master stateroom. The tanks are located under the master and guest staterooms. I plan to go down this weekend so if it has to be in the pump out hoses I will come up with a plan. Do you happen to have a pump on yours? I have a friend with a 60 in Houma, LA with a pump. I may go look at his as the layouts are similar. And yes mine is galley up.
    Brian, my 55C is a galley up. The holding tank vent hoses are behind the closet in my master. My deck fittings are just aft of where my deck railing stops outside my galley window. Routing those hoses behind the galley was not Hatterases best day I can tell you that.

Nope, I don't have a pump.

One of the guys at the marina showed good initiative last week and partially pumped me out even though I wasn't on the schedule. He met me in the marina office to share that he felt there was something wrong because he pumped about 60 gallons from one tank and stopped. He speculated a valve must be open to sea. Just 70 gals. more and he'd have had one done. We hold 135 X 2, as you know.

On a related note, I've been troubled with extreme hydrogen sulfide odors. It's so strong I'm thinking about posting No Open Flames signs and moving my grill down the dock lest I make the evening news. It's still a saltwater system, and no (reasonable) amount of chemicals seems to make a dent. A couple of years back, I installed homemade charcoal filters in the aforementioned vent lines. I actually think this hurts because it seriously limits that amount of air that can get into the tanks to promote rapid breakdown. I'm going to don my respirator and pull them out this weekend. I think I could use vent line check valves--do they make those?

My intent is to transition over to freshwater. I have twice filled with freshwater and flushed recently. In the meantime, I am looking for some sort of help. While ordering a gallon of OdorGone liquid (for general use), I ran across another, unrelated, Odor Gone, company. Those folks make deodorizing tablets for autoclaves. Supposedly, the smell of decaying tissue is as bad as it gets, although that's up for debate. The company says they've never tested marine holding tanks, so I volunteered my services. Anyway, I have some of the tabs on the way. If I play this right, my neighbors might even chip-in.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC