Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I need some help fo air conditioning change out on 53MY

You could probably run a slightly larger hose from the engine room to the master closet and tee off to both the master and aft salon. There is plenty of room along the exhaust hose thru the midship stateroom
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I as well have three to remediate. Galley, Master, and aft salon. Appears from reading the strings that centralized compressors with long freon lines are giving way to self contained units with extended cooling lines.Recommendations on brands and the most effective method for a DYI?Don't mean to hi jack the thread, but it appears we have a common issue.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Jump in!!!

Its unbearably hot in Florida so this is a priory right now. My Salon Ac sits on the starboard side of the salon so I need to mess with the lines and water supply. I probably need to upgrade my pump to get all that way from the port engine room.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL
    Hatters 53MY 1975 HULL # 454

1st mate to www.theboatbabe.com
    Blog: www.weliveonthesa.com

In mine the aft salon air handler was on the port side, right above the master closet

Stbd side will be more challenging. If your pump is in the port ER you will probably need to add a pump in the stbd Er but I don’t think you ll be able to bring it up thru the head ceiling. You ll probably need to pull the paneling and run it thru the wall
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Pascal

I am really trying not to demolish the boat in the process of installing the salon AC.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

All mine are located under galley with the generator. I do have a separate thru hull and sea cock in the port engine room formerly used for a water maker.Could i use that? It would save a lot of tear out.What size pump would be involved and could i discharge through one of the existing through hull drains?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

OMG!!!!!!

So I did some exploration this morning.

I do not see anyway of replacing the salon AC with out major demolition

The lines appear to run under the salon floor from the port side engine room to the cabinet at the rear of the salon on the starboard side.

I dont see any way of getting water lines into the cabinet.

Plan B ????

No idea what that is.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

I have a great and fair AC guy in St Pete if you are interested in a 2nd opinion on repair and condition of existing units.

Could you leave the copper lines in place, and just vacuum them out and replace the compressor unit, or the compressor unit and the airhandler/evap unit?

Changing the compressors is what I did. You just have to make sure that the heat exchanger coils are in good shape - no corroded ends when you pull the hoses off, no heavy acid cleaning over the years. After that then its a matter of if the control board is still good. Relay and capacitors are not as expensive. R22 is very expensive so that's a consideration. I stocked up so its a different call for me perhaps. Make sure he installs a bidirectional filter dryer if you go that route. If not then a new condenser comes with 417A I believe which can be used as is or evacuated and R22 used if desired. There is some disagreement on the compatibility of the oil. Many have said good things about Ocean Breeze here.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"