Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I need some help fo air conditioning change out on 53MY

So its summer in Florida and I can boil and egg by walking out doors.

And my ac's are acting up so I had my ac guy over and he said there are 2 bad compressors and recommends I change out my old R22 split systems for new cruisair self contained units as the R22 are not worth fixing, the cost of the gas etc, etc.

I read on older forums here that some guys say the cruisairs are not so great and are not well made.

Has any one done this? The self contained units seem really difficult to install into a 53MY and if so any advise on install and any feedback with the units used.

I need to make a decision fast as sweaty .........s are not to comfortable here right now.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL
    Hatters 53MY 1975 HULL # 454

1st mate to www.theboatbabe.com
    Blog: www.weliveonthesa.com

Re: I need some help fo air conditioning change out on 53MY

When you say two of your ACs are acting up, what are the symptoms? Are you sure the compressors are toast? Do they throw the breaker? Run but don’t cool? If the rest of the system is in good shape, replacing the compressors is a lot cheaper

Some people have switched to self contained which is a cheaper solution. Downside is the noise, having to run longer water lines and finding enough room as they are bigger than the air handlers requiring some carpentry work.

I m not a huge fan of Cruisair. They use a lot of proprietary electronics are pretty expensive. Look at Flagship and Ocean Breeze, both made in FL

A few years ago i installed a MarvAir self contained. I got it on sale at defender for $999. It worked fine but a bit loud, it was a temporary solution before redoing the whole boat with chillers. I think MarvAir was purchased by Dometic since.

If you re going with Selfcontained shop around and consider installing yourself. The labor making room and running water lines is going to be $$$
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hey Pascal, they dont throw the breaker but run and just dont cool. I have had my ac's guy look at at them and he put a hard start kit on both and he said the compressors are frozen, but not burnt out so there is no damage because of this.

I wanted to switch out the compressors, but they I am told its not a good idea because cruisair wont warranty a retro fit into old systems. Then there is the old R22 I am being warned against.

I was going to do the install myself, the aft salon is the one down and that poses the biggest challenge to get the lines into that cabinet and then the master. I believe i can do the carpentry to get both to fit.

While the old cruisairs have lasted a long time, I am not sure of their quality from what I have read.

I will look into the other brands, thank. And idea of cost of the others?
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

I have installed about 20 new AC units in many Hatteras including my 61MY and My 36 SF. I have used Cruise air/ Dometic many times, they are expensive and for the price do not thing they last that long. I have used Marinair out of Ft. Lauderdale for years. I think a better product and they come with a hi and low pressure gauge right on them. Very nice guys and easy to work with. https://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air...RoCj8oQAvD_BwE
    [url]www.carolinamarinegroup.com

I would look at Flagship and OB, too. I think old CruiseAires were really good but their modern stuff isn't as good. Other manufacturers can give you a better deal, as Pascal says.

As far as self contained units go, I'd rather run Freon all over the boat than salt water, that's for certain. Or closed chilled-water system.

This time of year, the weather is working against you, because everyone's AC is acting up....

Quote Originally Posted by hatterass View Post
    I have installed about 20 new AC units in many Hatteras including my 61MY and My 36 SF. I have used Cruise air/ Dometic many times, they are expensive and for the price do not thing they last that long. I have used Marinair out of Ft. Lauderdale for years. I think a better product and they come with a hi and low pressure gauge right on them. Very nice guys and easy to work with. https://www.marinaire.com/Marine-air...RoCj8oQAvD_BwE
    If you want to replace compressors, get Bristols. They are what dometic uses at half price or less. I did this last year. R22 unit.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Aft salon and master should be pretty easy. Aft salon console has a lot of room in there. If you pull the panel under the window you should have space to run water feed line where the copper Freon lines are, in the wall. Or run it down thru the VIP then up thru the master closet. Discharge could go down in the master closet, along the condensate drain and into the aft port sea chest.

Master should be doable too, if you set up the self contained on shelf above the exhaust and duct the air up. It will lessen the noise to. Feed water lines can be run along the exhaust hose thru the VIP from the ER. You can plumb the discharge to the sea chest that’s right there

I don’t understand how your guy say the compressors run but are frozen yet don’t trip the breakers. If they re frozen they will trip the breaker. If they run they re not frozen then they should be working as long as pressures are right.

The old blue Cruisair s were really good and some are still ticking... now if yours are original to the boat, and if the air handlers are too, I don’t know if they’re worth fixing... sooner or later the tubes and the air handlers will just fail due to age and corrosion
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Aft salon and master should be pretty easy. Aft salon console has a lot of room in there. If you pull the panel under the window you should have space to run water feed line where the copper Freon lines are, in the wall. Or run it down thru the VIP then up thru the master closet. Discharge could go down in the master closet, along the condensate drain and into the aft port sea chest.

Master should be doable too, if you set up the self contained on shelf above the exhaust and duct the air up. It will lessen the noise to. Feed water lines can be run along the exhaust hose thru the VIP from the ER. You can plumb the discharge to the sea chest that’s right there

I don’t understand how your guy say the compressors run but are frozen yet don’t trip the breakers. If they re frozen they will trip the breaker. If they run they re not frozen then they should be working as long as pressures are right.

The old blue Cruisair s were really good and some are still ticking... now if yours are original to the boat, and if the air handlers are too, I don’t know if they’re worth fixing... sooner or later the tubes and the air handlers will just fail due to age and corrosion
    A compressor can freeze up and not trip the breaker. I had that situation last year. It was pretty hot, but never tripped. Just thought the capacitor was bad at first.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Jim has brought up my other concern is that i have to run water all over the boat and not a fan of that.

I guess i need to jump on the phone and call some of the places recommended but at least I see there are enough guys who are also not happy with cruisair products.

I am confident I can do the install myself so that will help the process.

I will follow your recommendations Pascals and stat looking around to figure out how to run the lines as , yes they are original to the boat.

Thanks for the input
    Last edited by Shaunc; 06-23-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

Ask your ac guy if you can change out the compressors and use R427A. You need to change the oil and drier but you would need to do that with a compressor change out anyway.