Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Haters can hate but a lot of us still love our DDA’s

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Haters can hate but a lot of us still love our DDA’s

Actually, the biggest DD that I have ever seen was a 16V-149. I don't know if they were fitted as marine engines (bet they were) but I think they went in locomotives for quite a while. Probably 15 tons or so gross weight.

Jay Leno also loved the old Detroit's and in fact he made up a vehicle using a 6-71 with straight exhaust
    and actually drove it around near his shop. It was featured on his TV program, Jay's Garage. From a
    practical level however the old Detroit 2 cycle engines have limited application today in light of the new
    hi tech engines from Cummins, Cat, MTM, Volvo etc. I think in the not too distant future folks will talk
    about them like some of us still talk about the old flat head Ford V-8's of the 30's, 40's and 50's. Great
    for their time, but you can't stop progress......

Walt

Just for giggles, here is Big Mike. A DD 24-71 with more chrome than all of Elvis's Cadillacs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6KWsIFqoso
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

I'm a younger boat owner, turned 40 a couple months ago. I love Detroits but most of the people my age think they are horrible because of the crap people put on the internet about them. I have had boats with Cat 3412's and 3126's, Man 900 Common rails, Detroit series 60's, detroit 671's, and 1292's. The 2 stroke Detroits are by far my favorites. I really liked the Man's and despite what everyone says about them they worked great and the 2 Man dealers I used charged less than the Cat service. The only motors I wouldn't take again unless it was the deal of the decade are Cat's. I don't hate the motors but I do hate their service. My parents bought a new Pacific Mariner in 2004 that had detroit series 60's. Their boat was one of the 1st with the series 60's, PM said they stopped putting the Cat's in because so many of their owners complained about their horrible service. So I will take an old 2 stroke dinosaur any day over a modern motor.

My mechanic thinks I'm crazy. One of my 1292's has 2,700 hrs on it. even though it still runs like a champ and starts instantly with no smoke I'm starting to think about what I'm going to do at rebuild time. I would like to pick up some speed and have a 30knot cruise. So I told him to start gathering what we need to put 1692's in it. He can't believe I'd spend the money to re power with old Detroits. I'll take their reliability and simplicity over electronics any day.

Series 60s would still be built and sold, I think, if they hadn't been scrubbed because of Tier 3 regulations. From all I've heard they were very good engines.

I am surprised you didn't like your 3412s- I've always heard them were great.

I had 3116s and hated them. A friend had 3126s and hated THEM. His boat finally went to a fellow who repowered with Cummins 370Bs. Ironically, my friend now owns a boat with 3208s- but those have been great engines for him.

I'd not put 1692's in because the power to weight to efficiency is not great . Look at newer engines with lower hp ratings and long lifespan.

If your doing a repower Detroit 2 strokes are not a good investment.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The 3412s is great motor I put amost 4000 hours on a set (70 MY I used to run) with little more than oil - Filters, impellers and one starter. They had 5400 hours when the boat was sold and passed survey with flying colors

Service issues are a dealer issue not engine manufacturer. There are bad dealers everywhere...

Now I m running an 84 footer with 1650hp C32s. Great motor too except for the original aftercooler design. They ve had a number of failures prompting Cat to redesign them. It s supposed to have solved the issue Will see. Only have 2800 hours on them.

DD are fine. The reason I went with Cummins factory remans on my own boat is because rebuilding DDs is a crapshoot. If you have a great mechanic and get good parts... it s fine. Otherwise you can be back to square one
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Actually, the biggest DD that I have ever seen was a 16V-149. I don't know if they were fitted as marine engines (bet they were) but I think they went in locomotives for quite a while. Probably 15 tons or so gross weight.
    I have had the great pleasure of starting 2 pairs of these together for a commissioning test on a project at a St Antônio bank campus. Think I mentioned this on another thread. Anyway as generators they start up full throttle! already warm due to jacket warmers. Talk about rollin coal and noise'

All we were testing was the fresh air lovers under our control. 4 AM but worth getting up for.