Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

charging system upgrades--immediate need

Apparently something has gone deeply wrong with my batteries. I have been CLOSELY monitoring them as I was having a charger surging issue and assumed I had a cell going down. My water levels were always full, connections corrosion free. It has been three weeks since I checked the levels and found that all eight 8v (believed to be deka's) were COMPLETELY empty, after five gallons topped off three batteries I'm convinced these are all SHOT although I have topped all of them off!!!

Being that I don't trust the contractors available to me I will be managing this myself--yes, young bucks coming in to swap the batteries, now comes the choice on how to configure the new system. Presently I have the OE 32v Sentry charger--IT"S TIME TO GO!!!!

I am still running the 32v detroit 12-71's with Onan genny, etc etc. The PO installed a third 12v bank (diamond battery) that powers a 12volt breaker box on the helm, mastervolt 12/20-3 monitoring it.

I have absolutely no idea what direction I should take this. I am considering the Deka 8v195 for house and rolls for starting

First, maybe someone knows someone in the area I don't that would be willing to guide me through this. The boat is in Morehead City, NC

After having an engine down for a year and being two weeks from cylinder job completion, I am ready to use my vessel and I can't even start the damn thing.
    Last edited by ageless; 06-22-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Re: charging system upgrades--immediate need

Relax, get some new batteries and get it running. Just like the dang golf cart with fresh batteries that sits for a long time they go bad from non use. Agreed you need correct charger for type of battery used but wrong one will damage over time, not right away. So get up and running and pursue charging upgrades. Just my opinion. Hope it all works out so you can get on the water soon👍.

I send chargers to sentry to be checked out and set up. It's not that expensive. It comes back like a new charger.

I'd use the rolls for everything just to be safe. That way all the same charge curves and battery settings.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you lost that much water that quickly I would really suspect the charger and wouldn’t put new batteries with the old cooker. Hmmm. Charger.

If using a multiple bank charger you want the banks to be of the same type and size unless the charger is able to sense and regulate each output.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have been on a string of good luck and I’m running with it. After filling all the cells and switching to manual mode for three hours the starboard motor fired right up. I also noted the charger had only been showing 10-12 amps, it’s now showing the 32ish it formally was. I’ll continue to keep an eye on them. Any input when I should switch back to “auto”? Pascal: I echoed to the Admiral that we should start with a new charger/inverter with intent to replace batteries in the immediate future. Scott: I’m pushing for the rolls but with the completion of our cylinder job, need a new evap unit for the master stateroom, the Admiral will suffocate me in my sleep if I don’t get the galleymaid heads off this boat before we start our 6 month live aboard venture that starts mid-August. MadHatt:as helpful as this forum is, the various opinions can become very confusing and frustrating, that’s my reasoning to the Admiral why the rolls leave us no question

Well there are usually many ways to fix an issue... and most aren’t wrong

Personally I think the math doesn’t work with neither Rolls or AGMs. Good fashioned ole lead acid batteries still offer best bang for the buck. The only time AGMs are worth using is if there is no access to get to the batteries to add water. I think a good multistage charger with any lead acid is a better solution than fancy batteries with a crappy charger ... but I don’t sell the stuff... I just use it. Not just on my boat but boats I run for a living in conditions where reliability comes ahead of everything. As in charter guests spending $50k+ a week...

But again there are various solutions, most of them are right
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

"If you lost that much water that quickly I would really suspect the charger and wouldn’t put new batteries with the old cooker. Hmmm. Charger. "

+1

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I just replaced 5 year old AGM batteries because they're 5 years old on a mission critical vessel. Used another good quality AGM and in 5 years will probably do it again. There was no issue but it was done as maintenance.

No higher end customers are putting in basic flooded lead acid these days. At least a higher end VLA for some looking to save a buck. Then again I dont t sell the cheap stuff and dont endorse cutting corners.

If you can do the rolls do it. It's much better than the cheap batteries being used by others. I also use the single 2 volt cells (big big boys) in larger banks. They last far longer than the basic golf cart batteries people recomend.

Remember it's not always apparent whan a battery fails. Sometimes the captain can hide the problem, jump over the gear and may have a spare but thats not better than not having a problem
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

well, some strong opinions and all appreciated. Given the opposite ends of the financial spectrum I would like to hear reasoning.

Pascal: I apologize but I have read so much I can't recall how your charging system is set up. I think I recall an inverter to run during the day with genny top offs in AM and PM. I like that idea, especially if it saves us from having to use the ole Onan 20 freight train, BUT, we will be relocating to Pompanoish area the first of the year so reliable genny for A/C will be an Admiral MUST then.

on a side note, she told me she anticipates us having to repower in 2-3 years, would be nice if the ole Onan would hang in there. That being said, I would likely convert to 24v for repower AND genny. Since I have a 24-32v starter on my Onan, would that mean I could still convert from a 32v starboard motor and genny starting bank to a 24v keeping the Onan with say Cats? I would still Maintain 32v house
    Last edited by ageless; 06-23-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I just replaced 5 year old AGM batteries because they're 5 years old on a mission critical vessel. Used another good quality AGM and in 5 years will probably do it again. There was no issue but it was done as maintenance.

No higher end customers are putting in basic flooded lead acid these days. At least a higher end VLA for some looking to save a buck. Then again I dont t sell the cheap stuff and dont endorse cutting corners.

If you can do the rolls do it. It's much better than the cheap batteries being used by others. I also use the single 2 volt cells (big big boys) in larger banks. They last far longer than the basic golf cart batteries people recomend.

Remember it's not always apparent whan a battery fails. Sometimes the captain can hide the problem, jump over the gear and may have a spare but thats not better than not having a problem
    Read my updated post and tell me what you think