Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

charging system upgrades--immediate need

Apparently something has gone deeply wrong with my batteries. I have been CLOSELY monitoring them as I was having a charger surging issue and assumed I had a cell going down. My water levels were always full, connections corrosion free. It has been three weeks since I checked the levels and found that all eight 8v (believed to be deka's) were COMPLETELY empty, after five gallons topped off three batteries I'm convinced these are all SHOT although I have topped all of them off!!!

Being that I don't trust the contractors available to me I will be managing this myself--yes, young bucks coming in to swap the batteries, now comes the choice on how to configure the new system. Presently I have the OE 32v Sentry charger--IT"S TIME TO GO!!!!

I am still running the 32v detroit 12-71's with Onan genny, etc etc. The PO installed a third 12v bank (diamond battery) that powers a 12volt breaker box on the helm, mastervolt 12/20-3 monitoring it.

I have absolutely no idea what direction I should take this. I am considering the Deka 8v195 for house and rolls for starting

First, maybe someone knows someone in the area I don't that would be willing to guide me through this. The boat is in Morehead City, NC

After having an engine down for a year and being two weeks from cylinder job completion, I am ready to use my vessel and I can't even start the damn thing.
    Last edited by ageless; 06-22-2019 at 04:53 PM.