Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: charging system upgrades--immediate need

with a lot of reading and consultation I am going to reach out to Sentry regarding the charger and hear their advise.

I am stuck in the AGM/flooded inner debate, leaning toward AGM to try for the next couple years before the repower.

Are there some companies with flag terminals vs post? I have flag
    My biggest struggle has been finding local dealers of the different brands, even a call to East Penn warehouse resulted in "call O'Reilly's, Batteries Plus or Napa". Batteries Plus only knew of 8v golf cart batteries, O'Reilly's? Napa used to label the Deka, "two left in the nation and the line is obsolete".

Finally found a carquest that has East Penn labeled 8v flooded for $329

Recommends for retailer that you've worked with for batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    with a lot of reading and consultation I am going to reach out to Sentry regarding the charger and hear their advise.

I am stuck in the AGM/flooded inner debate, leaning toward AGM to try for the next couple years before the repower.

Are there some companies with flag terminals vs post? I have flag
    My biggest struggle has been finding local dealers of the different brands, even a call to East Penn warehouse resulted in "call O'Reilly's, Batteries Plus or Napa". Batteries Plus only knew of 8v golf cart batteries, O'Reilly's? Napa used to label the Deka, "two left in the nation and the line is obsolete".

Finally found a carquest that has East Penn labeled 8v flooded for $329

Recommends for retailer that you've worked with for batteries?

A friend with a 50C just bought 8 Rolls for $382 each and an Analytic Charger to replace his Sentry. When he got the price for Deka's it was more than the Rolls.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Batteries Plus sold me my last set of Lifeline batteries. They have been a good choice.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

If you re going to use AGM make sure you set your charger to AGM

Personally I have never gotten more life out of AGMs compared to L/A. Four to Five years seems to be max even with mutltistage smart chargers and even with batteries like gensets which would never get pushed low like house banks. That a been on different boats, different chargers...

I considered using AGMs on my 53 after the repower but decided to stick with L/A. 1 8D per engine and 4 6 volt golf cart for the house bank (for now)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    Batteries Plus sold me my last set of Lifeline batteries. They have been a good choice.

George
    I reached out to the local shop and all he could quote me was golf cart batteries--frustrating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A friend with a 50C just bought 8 Rolls for $382 each and an Analytic Charger to replace his Sentry. When he got the price for Deka's it was more than the Rolls.
    Oh boy, PM me that info if you might

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If you re going to use AGM make sure you set your charger to AGM

Personally I have never gotten more life out of AGMs compared to L/A. Four to Five years seems to be max even with mutltistage smart chargers and even with batteries like gensets which would never get pushed low like house banks. That a been on different boats, different chargers...

I considered using AGMs on my 53 after the repower but decided to stick with L/A. 1 8D per engine and 4 6 volt golf cart for the house bank (for now)
    1 8D? Is that because the new engines don't require as much starting power?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    1 8D? Is that because the new engines don't require as much starting power?
    Little engines and starters only require 300 amps. 1 8d or 2 group 31 is all they need.

I have 8v53 Detroits with a single 8d for each and it's fine unless I want to hang on a hook for a few days without the genny.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I guess. That’s what Cummins recommends for these engines.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat