Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 16' vs 18' ?? How wide to go?

Quote Originally Posted by riverrandy View Post
    if you ever get to Houston, look me up.
    Thank you for the invitation!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    or maybe it was just the period of the waves.
    That, and more so wavelength (crest to crest) would be my guess. It's possible that the 1510's sat between the crests, and that the wide bodies sat with one cheek on a crest.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I can attest to our 18' beam boat rocking at anchor when side on to other large boats' some grub's unnecessary wake from 500 yards away.

The distance, timing and size of the wake were exquisite. We were thrown to the floor along with everything on countertops. Our boat rocks.

That said, there is a huge difference between one of these boats underway with and without stabilisers. Our new Vetus system allows us to see the position of the tabs and they automatically operate in all wave, wind and swell conditions. With or without stabilisers , the difference is amazing.

Indeed the stabilisers are greatly appreciated when harbour cruising to control the roll caused by Weekend Warriors needlessly speeding big boats too close.

Not having walk around decks has never been an issue for us. We like the volume of space inside, downstairs and on the flybridge. The extra beam in the added 9' cockpit means so much more room for water activities. You possibly dock differently knowing you must connect with bow and stern lines first. On a swing mooring it makes no difference.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.