Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Window glass and glazing

I need to replace a cracked fixed window on the enclosed aft deck that appears to be made with two sheets of glass with a sheet of clear vinyl sandwiched between them. What is it called and who carries that?

Also what is the best glazing product? It had a gallon of some kind of caulk around it but it was still flexible after all these years.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Window glass and glazing

It's laminated glass and should be available at any glass shop. You can typically get it in clear, bronze, or grey. You can also go with solid 1/4" plate glass which won't crack as easily but you will need to put some type of film on it in case it does get cracked it'll stay together. There are different bedding materials for the glass but the key to all of them is that they need to remain flexible because the boat flexes. When you take the old glass out you will notice that it is "floating" on the bedding (or should be) vs being hard in the frame. This allows the boat to flex around it without cracking the glass.
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 06-20-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

if your glass has a greenish tint it is called solex. i would not go with plate glass for safety reasons. either laminated or tempered
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

OEM glass was Solex tint
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    OEM glass was Solex tint
    No green tint. I think the aft deck enclosure may have been a custom aftermarket addition. There is a 58MY ED that looks Great with no bulkhead wall and teak paneling throughout, but my aftdeck has the window and door openings and is finished in Hatteras white like an open aftdeck.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

David, it's called PPG solex green. Call David AArdvark, AArdvark Glass... Make him a template, and he'll cut a piece and polish the edges for you. Great guy. It may be available untinted as well
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 06-21-2019 at 08:04 PM.

David, it's called PPG solex green. Call John AArdvark, AArdvark Glass... Make him a template, and he'll cut a piece and polish the edges for you. Great guy. He'll cut and install it if that's what you want..

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    David, it's called PPG solex green. Call John AArdvark, AArdvark Glass... Make him a template, and he'll cut a piece and polish the edges for you. Great guy. He'll cut and install it if that's what you want..
    Thanks! Can you recommend a local sheet metal company to fabricate an aluminum frame? It was destroyed when I got the old glass out.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Thanks! Can you recommend a local sheet metal company to fabricate an aluminum frame? It was destroyed when I got the old glass out.
    Unfortunately, the place I knew that could have done both, Architectural Metals and Glass, over on Central Ave, went out of business a few years ago. I don't know any companies in Knoxville that do that kind of specialty work anymore. If I was guessing, Clinton Glass could probably do it. They do custom shower enclosures and the like.

What’s the best product for window glazing?