Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to change oil for Det 6-71 Inline

Hi I came upon this thread. I have a detroit 6-71 inline on a crown coach bus. I need to change the oil this summer and I am looking around. When I purchased this bus in California it had just been partially rebuilt. Mechanics mentioned it was the heads had blown off. I have had the bus for almost a year and have driven it about 2900 miles on different trips. I was told to continue using delo400 sae 40 wt. as that is what it currently has and every 1,000 miles it took about 1 gallon of oil. I havent had any issues yet. Should I continue to use delo 400 for this engine or should I flush the oil for Delo 100 or Mobil Delvac 1240? Delo 400 is easy to find in most auto stores while I am guessing the Delo 100 or Mobile Delvac 1240 has to be ordered.

Also I will run engine for a while, let it warm the oil, then shut engine wait 30-60 minutes for oil to go back down to pan and then do I flush oil from pan first then swap the filters? Put oil into new filters to remove any air? I would really appreciate any feedback

Re: Need to change oil for Det 6-71 Inline

NAPA's house brand SAE 40 (NAPA Part #75118) meets the DD specs and is $59 for a 5-gallon bucket at my local store here in Lower Alabama.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    NAPA's house brand SAE 40 (NAPA Part #75118) meets the DD specs and is $59 for a 5-gallon bucket at my local store here in Lower Alabama.
    Would you recommend it over Mobile Delvac 1240 sae 40 or the Delo 100 sae 40. Or do you think it's even in quality? I would definitely go for it if it's more convenient. Also say I need to add oil and I'm out of that Napa brand could I pour some Delo 100 un other words combine similar compatible 40wt oil?

I don't see how it would hurt to mix the different brands as long as they are all straight 40 wt and meet the DD specs. As far as recommending one brand over the other, I am not really qualified to provide guidance in that area. I use the NAPA brand because it meets or exceeds the specs, is readily available, and is economically priced. Plus, it's what the old salty gurus on here told me they use...
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 06-20-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    I use the NAPA too because it was recommended here and is available everywhere.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Mobil is probably the best, Chevron a close second. I think the Valvoline(Napa) has a little higher sulfated ash than the first two.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Also, does anyone know how many gallons of oil the 6-71 inline will have? My bus has a Detroit 6-71 inline (not with a turbo). This way I can calculate how much delo100 to buy and how much additional to order and keep on hand. Mainly I want to know that I am filling the correct amount when I change the oil.

6-1/2 to 7 gallons.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I have always used the DD oil (Exxon/Mobil Delvac 1240) although other oils could be had for less money.
    We know that it is formulated for these engines and although others may meet the specs, why not use
    the recommended product. Yes, I know that it probably goes for a little more money but it's not too
    much more and it's still much cheaper than engine rebuilds prematurely. You need to ask yourself, is it
    worth the couple of dollars per oil change that I may save now only to pay lots of dollars later. Might
    very well not make any difference but why try to out guess the original manufacturer. Just my opinion.

I solved the price difference thing by buying in large quantities of 100 - 200 gals in 5 gal pails when I
    found a good deal. You may want to consider getting together with some other nearby boater friends
    split a large order thereby saving a couple of bucks... Same with filters.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by rawlings2016 View Post
    Also, does anyone know how many gallons of oil the 6-71 inline will have? My bus has a Detroit 6-71 inline (not with a turbo). This way I can calculate how much delo100 to buy and how much additional to order and keep on hand. Mainly I want to know that I am filling the correct amount when I change the oil.
    Mine hold 8 gallons ea. I assume you have done the oil change by now. How much does it hold?
    Ken C.
    Comfort Zone
    1978 42' Bertram FBMY
    Sandusky, Ohio