Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tranny Oil Filter

I have a 1973 58' Yachtfishermen with 8V71T and need help with my tranny oil filter. I removed it and it's cloth with no numbers on it and the housing also does not have any numbers. Anyone knowthe number or the manufacture? I need to replace it.

Thank you,
    Rob
    Rob Dengler
    58' Hatteras Yacht Fisherman
    Stillwater, MN
    ROAMANIC

Re: Tranny Oil Filter

I do not have an answer for you, but I ended up replacing my cannister filters with the same exact filter that my engine uses Napa 1970 and it has been great. There is an adapter kit you can purchase online for $50 or so then you have common filters across engines and trans.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I’d like to find the remote adapters for $50. I think they’re more like $500 each.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    I’d like to find the remote adapters for $50. I think they’re more like $500 each.
    This is the kit I used I think. Lists for $92, maybe I told the admiral it was $50 is why I was thinking that lol

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel...l#.XQuGh6Z7kVw
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Spin on filter adapter, for Allison transm. part N 23530409, DD 25010945, Fram K3390. I do not remember the cvost. Hope this helps.

I was thinking of the remote filter adapters. I have them for the Allisons and would like them for the engines but when I priced them they were nearly $500 each.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

If these are the same, Amazon has them at $53.17 USD

https://www.amazon.com/FRAM-K3390-Oi.../dp/B001IYC3W0
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Ok, this is very encouraging!! So you drop off the bowel and center bolt and install the plate with stud and them you can use a spin on filter?
    Rob Dengler
    58' Hatteras Yacht Fisherman
    Stillwater, MN
    ROAMANIC

As I rememeber the adapter is an aluminium disk that bolts into the top of the existing filter with some allen bolts. The filter screws into such disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dengler View Post
    Ok, this is very encouraging!! So you drop off the bowel and center bolt and install the plate with stud and them you can use a spin on filter?
    Yup, that's pretty much it. You will need a very large socket (can't recall the size but think I had to break out my 3/4" kit)
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL