Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Extremely Stiff Throttle Cables

The inner cables aren't available by themselves, as far as I know, and anyway everything should be replaced as a unit. Smaller diameter cables have less frictional area and glide more easily. Look for the length measurement on the cable sheath and order accordingly; sometimes Hatteras has this info as well. The cost of the cables is not large, but the time involved pulling them through is considerable.

Also, before you go to all this effort, make sure nothing is binding or misadjusted in the control heads and on the engines and gears. Properly setting up cable controls is an art in itself; if you can find a very experienced marine mechanic to help you, it will go better and faster.

To summarize your initial post, upper and lower helm cables are smooth if connected one at a time but stiff when both are connected, right? While you have twice the friction when both sets are connected I wonder if the problem isn’t the fact that when using the lower helm you are trying to move the upper controls with the cables. I would look at the upper controls and connections to make sure everything is tight and nothing bonds when pushing from the cable
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Will follow cables to insure no visible signs of kinks. Only lower helm throttles bind when all are connected. Is there a maximum bend in cable recommended?
    Ocean Spirit
    1971 53 MY Hull #341

Another potential source of excess friction is the throttle booster springs. If they are dry where they attach to the throttle they will bind on the throttle booster adjuster. Apply grease as needed. If you are able to get all excess friction out of your throttles you may have trouble with the throttles staying where you want them while cruising. Linked is a procedure to adjust throttle boosters, a small movement makes a big difference so keep track of where they were if you adjust them.. https://www.glendinningprods.com/wp-...18/01/tb06.pdf
    Attached Images
    Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA

Pascal, I had the impression (I might be wrong here) that this is a new problem on a boat which formerly didn't have it. Am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Pascal, I had the impression (I might be wrong here) that this is a new problem on a boat which formerly didn't have it. Am I mistaken?
    I m not sure but i suspect the cavles are not the issue
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Lower helm throttles have always been stiff but not to this degree. I rarely used lower helm due to lack of electronics. Now I have plotter and auto pilot at lower helm so would like to begin utilizing. Will try to due some more diagnosis tomorrow and will look at the link provided tonight. I due appreciate all opinions. Thks Jim
    Ocean Spirit
    1971 53 MY Hull #341

Try disconnecting the cables at the flybridge controls

If the PH controls become smooth then you know that the problem isn’t with the cables but with the FB controls

The FB controls maybe stiff but you don’t notice because of the leverage you have when using the handles.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Disconnected upper helm cables as suggested by Pascal and that elevate the binding in lower helm controls. Loosening the screws on the bracket that bridges the pivot shat and bushing took care of most of the stiffness . So I removed, cleaned, lube bushing and adjusted. Upper help levers in idle position where very low causing cable to just push straight up against attachment point. This was corrected by adjusting cable longer.
    Thanks for all input.
    Ocean Spirit
    1971 53 MY Hull #341

No kidding. Glad you didn't have to replace all of them. It's a real pain to do it all.