Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Extremely Stiff Throttle Cables

1971 53 my lower helm throttles are extremely stiff, stb side a little worse than port. Upper helm throttles are smooth with just the right amount resistance. If I disconnect upper helm cables at the engines then my lower helm throttles operate normally. Boat is equipped with synchronizer which operates normally as well. Any suggestions as where to start. Thanks
    Ocean Spirit
    1971 53 MY Hull #341

Re: Extremely Stiff Throttle Cables

Is this something that happened recently, or were the boat's controls always like this?

I'm assuming that when you move the lower control levers, the upper levers move as well, right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here but do you have a cover on your upper helm station that could be causing friction on the throttles?
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here but do you have a cover on your upper helm station that could be causing friction on the throttles?
    Dam I hate when I find that out as all the lines are untied and I'm trying to put the boat in gear from the lower helm.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Make sure the ( not sure what it’s called ) (Throttle Body?) where the cables connects to the motor has not been bent by someone from your boats past. Mine was on it caused stiffness/ binding. Once I corrected it, it was much smoother. Hope it helps.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I am having the same problems with mine. The FB trotle cables are stif. I saw on youtube some australian guy that the first thing he does when he bought his boat was to lubricate its cables, by puting a hose in one of the ends and filled it with penetrating oil and pressurizing it with a small hand pump. He left it overnight and they smotth themselves. I will try this approach and let uou know.

It’s cheaper time wise and easier to just replace with new cables. They are not expensive.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

by the time you hook the cables to two control heads it doesnt take much wear to make the controls stiff. I would replace the cables and be done with it. The lengths are stamped on the end. You can get a 10-32 barrel nut and screw the new to old cable and change them out pretty quick. It may be called a coupling nut.

I agree. And use the smallest diameter cables you can find- I used Panish cables and they have worked very well. You should be able to find the length stamped on one end or another of the existing cables. I did try the lubrication trick, but it didn't work that well and made a mess. Pull new cables through, and make sure the cables are secured every foot or two to eliminate wasted motion and lash in the cables.

Quote Originally Posted by ocean spirit View Post
    1971 53 my lower helm throttles are extremely stiff, stb side a little worse than port. Upper helm throttles are smooth with just the right amount resistance. If I disconnect upper helm cables at the engines then my lower helm throttles operate normally. Boat is equipped with synchronizer which operates normally as well. Any suggestions as where to start. Thanks
    Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! Sounds like replacement of cables is in order. I’m assuming the inner cable only not the housing ? Should these be lubed and if so with what. Thks again
    Ocean Spirit
    1971 53 MY Hull #341