Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 45" 1992

Hello!

I am very new here and to Yachts. My friend got gifted by his uncle a 45" 1992 and its in running condition but with some issues. He's not tech savvy so I am helping him out.

Please any one can guide me about this model of Hatteras on how to search spare parts and if any one has a service manual for it would really appreciate.

The steering is hard and all the meters don't work, the gps and all electronic devices are defunct. We want to repair it but can't find anyone who can repair.

There are engine leaks and alot of smoke when the engine starts.
    Attached Images

Re: Hatteras 45" 1992

Call Hatteras Yachts. You can purchase the owners manual and schematics specifically for your hull number. Parts can be obtained from the owner of this site, Sam's Marine.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

These were very good boats- one of the best medium size convertibles Hatteras Yachts made- but it sounds like yours has suffered from a lack of maintenance. You can get all the parts you need from Sam's Marine, here. You will need a competent Detroit Diesel technician to go through the engines and see what they need.

The electronics, and the interior soft goods, are the cheapest and easiest part of getting a boat into working and usable condition. Leave those all for last. Get the engines, the wiring and plumbing, the generator, pumps, all the safety stuff working first, and then all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Call Hatteras Yachts. You can purchase the owners manual and schematics specifically for your hull number. Parts can be obtained from the owner of this site, Sam's Marine.
    Thanks will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    These were very good boats- one of the best medium size convertibles Hatteras Yachts made- but it sounds like yours has suffered from a lack of maintenance. You can get all the parts you need from Sam's Marine, here. You will need a competent Detroit Diesel technician to go through the engines and see what they need.

The electronics, and the interior soft goods, are the cheapest and easiest part of getting a boat into working and usable condition. Leave those all for last. Get the engines, the wiring and plumbing, the generator, pumps, all the safety stuff working first, and then all the rest.
    Yes you're right its lack of maintenance. Will follow your advice, can you suggest how to fix the electronics or how to replace them?

If you don't need the latest and greatest on electronics you can buy used ones pretty reasonable from people who are upgrading for that reason. I bought 2 Garmin 4200 series with HD24" radar and GSD24 for around $1,500. Added AIS and put a used XM module in, new VHF, etc for a total spent of around 3 grand including radio. I did everything myself and am happy with the electronics. You can easily pay someone 10-20 grand for new electronics and that's fine if you want new. But you don't have to spend that kind of money. There are also several programs where you can navigate offshore on your iPad. Knowing depth is important but navigation can be done without a chart plotter. If you don't know some basic electrical you need to pay someone to do it. I tried to pay an electronics guy to do mine but he kept being a no show. I came out cheaper just replacing it with exception of auto pilot. I sent it to Max Marine Electronics and they rebuilt it. Tell them what is happening and they can guide you on the older stuff. Sometimes its cheaper to replace but in my case I spent about 750 making repairs on the AP vs 2500 for a new one.
    Last edited by Briankinley2004; 06-23-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Your friend just got one of the most expensive boats in the world! A free boat is to be avoided always. Just kidding though since it is a quality Hatteras. Plan on spending way more than you ever imagined. But the good news is that initial cost is zero so great starting point. Go in the order that DR. Jim posted and things will go well and as she becomes more operational she can start to be used for day trips and function at the dock. All good stuff. Know this because my 34 started on a shoe string budget with zero knowledge of what I was taking on but man, the ride was fun.

Overall unless an engine needs major repair you are in good shape as a starting point. Even if major repairs are needed you are still in good shape as the boat is a great hull.

Enjoy the ride.