Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... yeah... sure ...

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you want good looking, practical boats that you can actually use and aren't just designed to sit at the dock and look "modern", then you have to look at the trawlers you see in any Passagemaker magazine. The kind that have windows that slide open, railings that are made to keep the passengers from falling overboard, pulpits with the capability to hold more than one anchor, etc.
    That's a shame, Hatteras would have there on that. 😩😩😩😩😩😩

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I guess building a boat people will buy trumped your style requirements.

Not that its something I think is pretty but a company has to build boats for customers.
    Hatteras used to one of the largest medium size MY builder in the country... their boats were everywhere. Nowadays, you rarely see any new Hatteras (under 10 years old) You see Horizons, Sunseekers, mutts, Cheoy Lees, Ocean Alexanders... down here we even see more Pershings than Hatteras.

It s just an observation from areas where you find dozens and dozens of MY on the 60 to 100 range.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Beauty is skin deep.

(Ugly, however, goes clear to the bone.)
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I think Sky is absolutely right. What really kills me is the huge windows in the sides of boats, below the rub rail (WAY below the rub rail) You can't tell me that having that in the boat's side is in any way as strong as a hull which is assembled in one part from resin and fiberglass, with small portlights every so often. Sooner or later one of those windows is going to take a beam sea right in the chops (no pun intended) and break and flood the boat.

As to trawlers, I was on a 58 Hatteras LRC over the weekend, and high rails, a Portuguese bridge, small portlights are all there. And older Hatteras motor yachts have a lot of those same features. It's as if modern boats, unless they are trawlers, are not built for the open ocean.

I believe that a lot the reason we don't see many less than 10 year old Hatt's is the price also. If you compare prices you will see that the Hatt is 50- 100% more than the other boats in the same class and age. No argument from me about the aesthetics .....Pat

New hatt MY are more expensive than some of the competition but not by 50 %. The difference is explained by better quality something that buyers are receptive to.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat