Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loss of AC Pump Prime

Since we have been running the 58 LRC up the ICW since 6/2/19... we have lost the prime on the air conditioning pump about a dozen times. Only happens while underway. Checked and cleaned the strainer... strainer was "mudded up" a little..... tightened all hose clamps... none were really "loose".... hose from thru-hull to pump appears to be in very good condition with no cracks.....

Anyone expernece this on similar Hatteras or have any thoughts on other possible thigns to check??

Thanks in advance!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Loss of AC Pump Prime

I had a similar situation a while back. I replaced the impeller and the problem was solved. I'm not saying this is the problem that you're experiencing but it sounds like it. Even after being hauled out of the water, I've never had to prime the pump.
    Good luck!

Could the passage of seawater across the external strainer be sucking the prime out of the inlet hose?I believe this could happen with a mushroom type strainer. With a scoop strainer, not so likely.

I don’t think an LRC can go fast enough for flow to be disrupted or Air to be ingested assuming the pump is in good condition

What kind of pump do you have? Some of the Cruisair branded pumps or Scott Punp have metal impeller that will either corrode or erode with time resulting in a weaker pump which may not be able to suck water under way

Also check for obstruction inside the seacock and outside the scoop. If it only happens underway I doubt that s the problem but you never know. So many times I have open a strainer lid and gotten a healthy flow yet under pump suction something would just clog flow
    Last edited by Pascal; 06-17-2019 at 08:14 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I loose prime after a run but not while underway. I replaced my Oberdorfer pump with a March. Still have the same issue.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That s weird. What kind of TH cover do you have? Scoop?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The pump I have is a Scot Model 68 and it does indeed have a bronze impeller. I talked to Scot Pump Company this morning and they stated that the impeller life is equivalent to running continuously for two years. The pump itself is about 4-5 years old and has spent a significant amount of time in Florida... so the AC pump ran a lot. They stated it is very likely a worn impeller. So I ordered an impeller (~$80) and a seal kit (~$30)... they should be here by end of the week... just in time for my arrival in Mystic.

FYI.... I do NOT believe I have a scoop on the AC thruhull.... it's simply the mushroom end of the thruhull.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and help!!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

We have a large Scott pump on the 84 Lazzara i run. About a year ago i notices water flow out the discharge wasn’t quite what it used to be and the upper chiller shut down on high pressure. Turned out to be the impeller being eroded. I had a spare pump so I was able to swap it right away

That s why I prefer March pumps. No erosion. I ve had a couple of the plastic impeller break over the years but you swap it in 5 minutes. Don’t even have to pull the hoses off

I really like external South Bay Stainers for air con and water makers. The wedge sale eliminates issues underway and block debris from getting in
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal-

Thanks for the feedback.... I will likely put a Southbay or some style on the 58 LRC next time I haul.... what about a scoop thruhull??? … since I'll mostly be doing 10 knots or so all the time would that be advised??

Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

What i like about the South Bay strainers is that nothing will go thru the screen unlike slotted scoops
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat