Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

671tib lost rpms

Boat ran great until went to go shark fishing today, couldn't get above 2000 rpm, changed fuel filters no difference. Anyone ha e any suggestions what to look for next

Re: 671tib lost rpms

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Boat ran great until went to go shark fishing today, couldn't get above 2000 rpm, changed fuel filters no difference. Anyone ha e any suggestions what to look for next
    Bottom?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Bottom was done maybe 6 weeks ago boat ran great last week for offshore tuna fishing

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Bottom was done maybe 6 weeks ago boat ran great last week for offshore tuna fishing
    Depending on where you’re located, warming water temperatures and condition of paint, six weeks can be a long time. How about growth on the props? Dirty props can be 80% of the drag on my boat, for ey. I think you have to eliminate the bottom if nothing sticks out on motors.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Both engines or just one? Both sounds like the bottom, growth on the wheels, or a combination. One could be a fuel issue or something wrapped around a shaft, perhaps.

After the filters (secondaries too?) I d check the wheels. Doesn’t take much barnacle growth to affect performance. Don’t know where you are but down here on FL 6 weeks will do it. Usually something wrapped on a prop would cause a vibration but not always

Any smoke on start up, underway? Any sheen on the water ?

Doesn’t have to be both engines. One weak engines could prevent the other from reaching full RPM
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

In New York, no smoke, props were reconded while bottom was done. Will do the secondaries and hopefully just picked up some Crap in fuel and that fixes it

How old are the secondaries? I replace both primaries and secondaries at every oil change, mains and gens

Take a look at props any way... if in reasonably clear but cold water you can attach a GoPro to a boat hook and take a look
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I would also check your air filters and turbos... turbo should spin very freely when you give it a whirl and continue spinning for a few seconds....

One other VERY remote possibility... but would take a very easy check... make sure the emergency air flapper shutdown is not inadvertently closed...
    Last edited by JD5652; 06-16-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Secondaries were changed last year. I’ll change them again and clean air filters just in case