Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galleymaid Fresh water system

FYI. I have been having pressure problems. Changed breaker still would trip. My boat is an 1987 58MY. Bought a new pressure tank and installed. The old one I think was 32 years old. It is a 7 gal tank when removed after draining thank it still had 4-5 gals of water. Point being it was old and the bladder had gone bad. After installing the new tank everything works fine. If any of you guys are having trouble with your water systems might want to check your pressure
    tank.

Re: Galleymaid Fresh water system

A working pressure tank keeps the pump from short cycling and makes it last much longer. Important in standard pressure pump systems. The internal bladders typically only last 10 years or so depending on water quality. If your pump runs less than two minutes once tripped your bladder is probably done, your pressure differential needs to be adjusted or your tank is too small.

If you have a variable pump like a Head Hunter this does not apply.

I replaced mine with a 10 gallon from Home Depot in Mexico which worked great and was less than $200.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

I've replaced both of mine over the last couple of years and found that the house pressure would drop after not much use, so had to run the A.C. pump more often. Solution: lower the pressure in the expansion tanks a little, thus increasing the usable volume in the expansion tanks.
    To avoid having to turn on the genny for pressure, I added a Galley Maid DC pump to cycle on automatically. BUT it's too high on the engine room wall and won't lift the water. Still trying to find floor space in the E.R. to relocate. Maybe next month, after I strip and paint the engines to Aslan standards.
    Last edited by R D Young; 06-14-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

4. Re: Galleymaid Fresh water system

I believe I'm experiencing the problem noted below. In notice that the battery charger increases charge just before the water breaker trips. Would this also be a symptom of the bladder in the expansion tank?

If your tank has not ever been changed for sure it should be changed. I would start there. It will come out if you release some of the screws
    out without changing or destroying existing fittings. Undo some of the screws that hold shelf to get room enough to work fittings loose. Good luck!!!