Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

How much fuel in my lazarrete tank?

Greetings, all.

I have a 1975 58 LRC with old (inop) fuel qty gauges. I use a tape measure to dip each tank, then then compare the inches of fuel depth with a chart that equates inches to gallons.

My problem is that the chart doesn't show the lazarette tank on it.

Does anyone have a means of converting inches of fuel to gallons for the lazarette tank?

Thanks!

Re: How much fuel in my lazarrete tank?

Should be simple to figure if you have the length, width and height of tank. Or if you have the total capacity of the tank perhaps you could fill it, go for a run, re-fuel and calculate based on that. I would do this a few times though before I was comfortable with the results.

On my 1976 58 LRC the gauge tag in the ER states 300 gallons.... but I can tell you that just fueled up and I put almost 400 gallons in that tank.

If you have the dimensions of the tank... I can calculate the gallons for you..... IMG_2271.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Unhappy Re: How much fuel in my lazarrete tank?

Hi, and I'm sorry for my loooong delay! We spent much of this summer out on the boat, and love it! But it means I didn't go online much at all.

That's super surprising that you were able to "fit" 400 gallons in that 300 gal tank. just bought a fuel pre and gauge for each tank, and hope that solves my concerns. I may never know many gallons i holds until I completely fill her up, but at least I'll be past the stage of "Gee, I wonder how much gas I have on board?" and then having t go about dipping each tank and measuring how many inches of fuel there are, and then trying to calculate inches to gallons...

How has everyone else done his?

If you already have a chart with inches to gallons, then install a Hart Tank Tender. It reads in inches so you'll be all set. Easy to install with just running some little plastic lines to each tank.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI